Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So China was born March 21st so she is four months old. Our new addition has been here for one week and two days and he is two months old. For the most part they have been kept separate. They had met through the gate a few times and a few times they have met without. The new kitten has no issue with China and ignores her for the most part. China however is a huge bully. She immediately tracks him down and hisses and swipes at him. She hasn't scratched him to the point that he has marks but she is relentless and will have him cowering in a corner in short order where she continues to hiss and bat him.

I understand that it can take time for them to get along but China was upstairs with our neighbors for four days and they have two female cats, eight months and one year, and she did chase them around but they were amicable. I am confused why she seems to have such a vendetta towards the kitten. I suppose part of it is that he is on 'her' territory but still.

Any ideas or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
You are right, it is a *territory* issue, but if you keep an eye on them and prevent her from harrassing the new kitten, at least until he is older/confident enough to defend himself, I still think they could learn to get along. Right now, it is China who is just going to have to suck-it-up and understand there is another kitty living with her now. The most important goal here now, is to protect the youngster so he doesn't grow up with a healthy dislike of her because of her behavior, to give them a chance to be able to grow to like each other.
h

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Argh! I wanted to edit and hit reply instead. :oops:
Try initiating play and treats and petting/scrubbles to both cats at the same time, so they associate being near each other with "good things". The 2mo old, doesn't understand China's behavior. China's behavior is instinctual, because from the age of 4-8mo, IF a kitten is going to survive, they will need to "carve out their own niche" and protect their resources. This is what is going on with China, it is a survival instinct...but you can show her that there are enough resources (you) for everyone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Heidi for the info. We will work more on cuddling China if she will let us and playing with her when he is around. Today is going better, she is still stalking and hissing at him but we have been spraying her with water when she swats him and she hasn't been doing that at all today! He is also starting to stand up for himself and hissing back at her when she is being mean.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I got my new kitten, I didn't scold my other cats when they'd hiss at her. Instead I'd try to distract them with treats and would try to play with them too while she was around. I figured then they'd know good things happen when she comes around. If they'd swipe at her I'd just pick her up and move her away. I also gave her separate food and litter box in my bedroom and let her sleep in there the first few nights so they other cats wouldn't bother her while I slept. It only took my cats about 3-4 days after we got the kitten before they were used to her and playing with her.

·
Registered
146 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track.....China will either end up accepting the new addition and calm down....or the other cat will put its foot down when it gets a litte bigger. Either way, in my experience, %99.99999999 of the time, cats learn to get along with eatchother, or just avoid eatchother....and %97 of the time, they end up being freinds. just my experience though.

i have two kittens Now..have had Allie for about 2 months, she is 4 months old. And we got Mr Higgins about 5 days ago he is also about 4 months old. Mr higgins came from a home where he was with his two sisters, so he is FINE with other cats. Hes really laid back, and just wants to play with Allie. Allie, however, if full of additude. Mr Higgins is a little bit bigger, and probably TWICE as strong as her, i mean this cat is a freakin swartzanegger cat! its quite impressive....anyways, Allie has all the additude, and she is BULLYING HIM!! he can totally take her if he wants to, ive seen him litterally grab her head in both his paws, pick her up, and slam her on her noggin! hard enough to hear a -THUNK- when her head hit. She backs of for just a second, then goes at him FULL BORE, and he eventually just lays on his back and SQUEELS while she bites the back of his legs, his belly, and his neck....it seems quite vicious really, but theres no lost fur, and no blood, and both of them keep going back for more!
Mr Higgins is super sweet, and laid back, and hasnt acted like he even WANTS to be the dominate cat, he just wants to play! Allie seems set of ruling with an IRON FIST though....im still unsure how its going to go. i know they will work it out, but im interested to see who will win the castle throne. If Mr Higgins decides he wants to rule, there will be nothing she can do, he just SOOOO much stronger than her, but this may end up being a battle of Will instead of physical strength.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow Dustin, sounds like your kitties are a lot like mine at the moment except little guy can't stand up for himself just yet so he just lies on his back and tries not to move.

China is still ruling with an iron fist. She and the kitten are separate for most of the day and only at night when I can give them my full attention are they allowed to roam together. She is still picking on him pretty fiercely. We will just continue to rotate them until he is big enough to stand up for himself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Adrienne123 said:
Wow Dustin, sounds like your kitties are a lot like mine at the moment except little guy can't stand up for himself just yet so he just lies on his back and tries not to move.

China is still ruling with an iron fist. She and the kitten are separate for most of the day and only at night when I can give them my full attention are they allowed to roam together. She is still picking on him pretty fiercely. We will just continue to rotate them until he is big enough to stand up for himself.

poor little guy.....i hope he buffs up and teaches China a lession eventualy!!
i honestly belive that if Allie was able to over power Mr Higgins, then she would still be bullying him...but as of today, i think they are ALMOST friends. or more accuratley, Allie has accepted that Mr Higgins is here to stay, and that she just CANT bully him, though she obviously wants to inflict pain on him when they play....she bites the back of his legs and his lower abdomen, and he crys! after he crys a little bit, she stops, and lets him bathe her. Pitiful Mr Higgins, he seems infatuated with her, and shes just kind of like "whatever, you can bathe me, just dont get out of line"

when i got out of the shower the morning, i found Mr Higgins laying next Allie, with his arm over her shoulder and he was licking her face and nibbling her ear....she had the look of a pampered queen about her. adorable. It only took them 4 days to calm down...and i have to say i didnt think it would be that quick...probably has to do with the fact that they are both very young, and close to the same size, but just a guess.

odd thing though, Allies personality has suffered from the whole experience....she growls at me when i pick her up now, and looks angry...shes not biting or scratching, but she has developed a bad additude. I hope its only temporary. Allie was previously never a growler, and was quick to purr when petted. but not now!

·
Registered
146 Posts
so hows it going with your two Felines? is China starting to lighten up yet?

my kittens are now completley inseperable best freinds. Allie likes him well enough, but she isnt as freindly because of her torn ACL ive been complaining about in other posts, shes still hurting. but she loves him. and Mr Higgins just seems infatuated with her. he follows her around like a lost puppy and when she lays down, he is right there to lick her all over the face. its the cutest thing ever.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dustin! Glad to hear your two are doing so well.

It appears we have turned a corner with China and Dolce. They are pretty good friends now and sleep snuggled in the cat bed on the window sill the majority of the day. They also play together when they aren't sleeping. China is still a bit rough when they play. On occasion he cries during play but I think it is more that he is crying out against the 'injustice' of being pinned down by a girl, lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Adrienne123 said:
They are pretty good friends now and sleep snuggled in the cat bed on the window sill the majority of the day. They also play together when they aren't sleeping
aww thats good, im glad to hear it. im sure its adorable!

my bigger stronger Mr Higgins is still getting most dominated during play by the smaller Allie, it really funny, hes such a strong cat, and i like i said BIGGER, be hes such a WUSS!! he makes fussing crying noises all the time while hes laying on his back with her biteing his belly. and he RUNS from her! but you can still tell he loves whatever attention he gets from her. and they sleep all on top of eatchother. having a pair of cats is so much better than just one!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts