Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
things are going well! (fingers crossed, knocking on wood and all sorts of crazy things like that!)

As some of you may remember, I've been having major aggression problems with my first and oldest kitty, Skylar attacking the only male in the house, Tristan.

I've kept them apart for a while, tried Prozac with no luck and a few weeks ago switched her to Clomipramine. I started slowly re-introducing them only during meal times. Then gradually left them together longer and longer after they were done eating.

The first day I stood armed with a spray bottle. It did nothing to stop her from chasing him even while being sprayed. A few days later she looked at him and hissed. I gave her a squirt and she walked away. A few days after that she would look at him and keep walking.

I've been trying to be patient, but admit I am not. I'm trying to not push things too quickly, but also think that the more time they spend without problems the better off we'll be.

For the last week, I've been allowing them free roam for about an hour at a time. Today, they were together for FIVE hours with no problems!

I say no problems, but I mean no *major* problems. Tristan is still afraid of her, but rather than cowering under the furniture or in a corner, he simply avoids her. And she still watches him like a hawk, but so far has not chased. There was a second when I thought she looked like she was going to go at him but she was next to me on the couch so I grabbed her quickly, then put her in another room.

And if she decides to go somewhere like into my bedroom to nap on my bed I simply close the door after her so she can be left alone.

Now... I will admit the stress level in the house is at an all time high even though things are going well. Carson, my bipolar tortie girl who has always gotten along well with Skylar is causing problems. She has randomly jumped her and chased her from room to room on a few occasions. However, after a little time to cool down they usually sleep on my bed with no problem. And Logan, my youngest, has major issues with personal space. She doesn't get it. Skylar can hiss and growl and Logan just keeps pushing her. The other night, she followed Skylar on top of the kitchen cabinets and insisted on sitting within a few feet of her. After several minutes of growling and hissing, Skylar waited until she was distracted and completely went off on her! The two of them rolled around on top of the cabinets (all the while I was close to a panic attack that one or both would fall and get seriously injured!). Halfway through the fight, Carson felt the need to jump up and join in. She's taken the roll of policing... any time the cats are having problems she jumps right in.

But as much as I hate to say it... I can deal with it. As long as Skylar and Tristan are living in peace I can deal with the little scuffles that are going on. They've been apart for so long that I know its going to take a while for everyone to work out some sort of balance.

I brought the oldest girls in for their Rabies vaccine tonight and Skylar has lost 1.5lb. I knew she was looking a little thin, but was still surprised it was so much weight she had lost. The doctor was more concerned than I was. She's always been a finicky cat. Some days she won't eat at all, some days she eats half of her food and some days she scarfs everything down and bugs me for more (but often vomits if she eats too much). She's vomited a little more often than normal but its still not enough to worry about (maybe once every week or two). Plus, now that they've been around more often I know she's stressed. Most days she does eat but I'm sure she doesn't finish before the younger ones pester her away from her food. Part of me wants to feed her by herself, but I feel like we've made so much progress I don't want to go back to keeping them apart (especially since food is the biggest factor in her ignoring Tristan!)

I will probably try to add in a third meal when I can get her interested and off to herself. I'm bringing her back in next month to recheck her weight. I'm also going to start her on some sort of Milk Thistle since the Clomipramine can be a little hard on the liver.

Anway, sorry for the long drawn out update but am happy to report that things are going much better than I had expected and I'm starting to think that we CAN all be a happy family. The problem now? I was getting so used to dealing with two cats at a time that when everyone is all together I realize that I have SIX bodies living with me and its a bit crowded in here! :)

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I swear, Jessie, Skylar and Gigi are twins separated at birth. From the bullying, fighting, picky eating, NOT eating, overeating (and then vomiting), etc.

I'm glad for the long drawn out update, I like details!! Congratulations, I know how much every little bit of progress is welcomed!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'm so glad things are starting to look up finally! I understand your not wanting to post until now...I'd be afraid to jinx the situation! Thanks for the update, and I hope things continue to improve for everyone involved...you certainly all deserve it. Baby steps right? :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was certain that we'd have a big blow up after I posted this, but so far no drama!

She skipped breakfast today (go figure) but had eaten most of it by the time I got home tonight. Ate all of her dinner though. Trying to get some weight back on her...

Tonight proves we're definately making progress. Tristan had been hanging out on the couch kind of behind me. Skylar was huddled up under the TV but decided she wanted to jump on my lap. After a few seconds he realized she was close and growled for a bit, then hissed and ran of. She didn't even flinch! Just watched him go, very calmy and settled back in.

Logan is pushing her though. I'm trying really hard to keep her away but she just doesn't get it. And all the growling and hissing doesn't phase her. Stupid kittens...

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I would be inclined to let Carson be the referee since she is taking on that role already....torties do like to be bossy. You might read my reply in the thread "Do Time-Outs Work?" in the Behavior thread.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the last hour or so, I've had three kitties on the couch with me!

Skylar is asleep on a pillow to my left, Logan has been all over me but I'm mostly keeping her to my left, although even when she's right next to Skylar there's just a little growling then things settle down. Tristan is curled up on the far end of the couch with the dogs.

Ahhh peace and harmony :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would be inclined to let Carson be the referee since she is taking on that role already....torties do like to be bossy. You might read my reply in the thread "Do Time-Outs Work?" in the Behavior thread.
This is what I call a synchronicity. In the past year, how many times have I read a post referring to a tortie being a referee with other cats? Once, this afternoon, by you, and now a second time, in this thread. Quelle coincidence!

OsnobunnieO, sounds like good progress! As one with a similar chasing problem, I know how frustrating it can be. And how exciting when they coexist. Hang in there, it ain't easy sometimes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts