Cat Forum banner

Have you ever bought an infomercial product?

• Yes, and I would again!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but the product was not as advertised. Never again!!

• No, never have

• Other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just curious if anyone here has bought an infomercial product. If so, what did you get and would you recommend it?
I've only bought one infomercial product - The Pasta Pro. I loved it at first and used it a lot but it's found it's way to the back of my cupboards and hardly gets used anymore. Now that this thread has reminded me of that I should dig it up, wash it off and use it again. :wink:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the GTXpress cooker thing. it's awesome and cooks single servings and cooks in under 10 minutes.

I WANT the magic bullet SO bad, next payday I'm getting one

·
Banned
804 Posts
i want to buy a couple things but my grandfather bought the bullet through the infomercial, got charged for 2 bullets even tho they were the "2 for 1" special and only got ONE bullet in the mail. then they wouldnt let him return it and charged him for his call to the customer service desk for the company

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well i chose other because there have been several items we have bought that are on infomercials. the latest one is the ab loung 2. we found it at bj's and i know it used to be an infomercial. we have the always ready and no battery flashlights i've seen advertised. i'm sure there are other things too. most of the stuff is pretty good though i have no complaints!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I ordered Pro-active once. I had struggled with bad acne since I was 13. A few years ago I was home sick one day and saw the infomercial and I was too sick to bother changing the channel so it just keep repeating itself for a few hours. so a week later I ended up ordering it. It said it was supposed to be good for any skin type blah blah blah. Well the stuff burned my skin. My skin felt like it was on fire/melting. So after about a week of attempting to use it I stopped and just threw the stuff away. Oddly enough about a year later my acne just finally cleared up on its own. About time since I was 24 when it happened. I still get the occasional pimple but I think it may have to do with age, less stress etc. that it finally cleared up. Also I have been using just olive oil soap and a mild moisturizer.

I used to be on topical and oral medicine prescribed by my dermatologist but I stopped using it because the topical oinments were no longer working. My skin got used to the medicine. The oral antibiotics made me feel sick to my stomach. anyways...I don't recommend Pro-active although I am sure it does work for some people.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I nearly bought some kind of vitamin stuff that supposedly gives you all kind of engery. Yeah, it was 3 AM. :D
When we had our white elephant gift exhange for our Sunday school class, someone had brought the Magic Bullet and EVERYONE wanted it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
manitu22 said:
I used to be on topical and oral medicine prescribed by my dermatologist but I stopped using it because the topical oinments were no longer working. My skin got used to the medicine. The oral antibiotics made me feel sick to my stomach. anyways...I don't recommend Pro-active although I am sure it does work for some people.
My husband is almost 24 and he has been on oral antibiotics since he was a teen for bad acne. I hate the fact that he is still on them, but it is the only thing that keeps him from getting horrible acne. He already has one really bad scar on the side of his face.
He also uses topical benzyl perozide stuff but it doesn't even work all that great..he still gets more acne than a "typical" 23 year old. Not only that, but the medicine has bleached all my blue towels and sheets (there go our nice wedding gift towels). 8O :(
I am just hoping he will eventually grow out of it? His skin is really oily and he supposedly inherited "crooked pores" from his mom.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I bought the "dial-O-matic" many years ago. It was a kitchen slicer device. It worked OK but nowhere near as smoothly as they demonstrated on the commercial.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Firm! I now have a lovely footstool under my desk. :lol:

I was almost tempted by the Pro-Activ. So thanks for the feedback on that. Saved me from wasting my money. My skin is very sensitive too.

G

·
0 Posts
I've purchased the Magic Bullett and Smartware from Infomercials and I absolutely love both.

The Magic Bullet was worth the money just for grating mozzerella cheese. I use it constantly.

I'm coveting the nicer dicer right now, but I think it will be a while before I can have one of those.

·
Registered
449 Posts
what amazes me though is the 'sauna belt' claiming that you can lose an inch off any part of your body per 30 minute session through sweating the calories out... that one made me laugh so hard it woke my roommates.

aparently someone came to the conclusion that since when you exersize you sweat, then it's the sweating that makes you lose weight and lets you keep it off. :roll:

I was looking at some of those exersize things but I don't like buying workout things without trying them first, so who knows what?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I bought the Ron Popeil set it and forget it rotisserie which is great. When we were kids we pooled out money and bought my mom a veg-o-matic because it was supposed to slice potatoes for the perfect french fry. I think the father of Ron Popeil was the first with these wacky inventions.
My nephew used that Pro-active, same thing happend to him, it burned and reddened his face so badly he stopped using it also. Oh I almost forgot, I bought the food dehydrator, I was thrilled with that thing for about 1/2 hour

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I bought ProActive, and think it would be wonderful for people with acne. It's a shame your nephew couldn't use it, Superkitties. I don't have acne, but I had little bumps under the surface of my skin, and it worked beautifully. When I see someone with a severe case of acne, I always wish I could tell them how great it is. It's one of the few things that really does what it promises.

I bought the Oreck Vacuum on QVC, and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread! It's expensive, but worth every cent I paid for it. I had a self propelled vacuum before the Oreck, but it couldn't compare. The Oreck is really powerful! In ten years I think I have only bought one thing on QVC that I didn't like..a hand warmer gadget.

The Artic 180 (?) gloves, boots, and ear warmers are amazing. I bought the gloves and ear warmers for all of the children, and the boots for the two boys. You've probably seen the demo...people putting their hands in the gloves and into ice water. Your hands don't get cold!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
shlanon said:
My husband is almost 24 and he has been on oral antibiotics since he was a teen for bad acne. I hate the fact that he is still on them, but it is the only thing that keeps him from getting horrible acne. He already has one really bad scar on the side of his face.
He also uses topical benzyl perozide stuff but it doesn't even work all that great..he still gets more acne than a "typical" 23 year old. Not only that, but the medicine has bleached all my blue towels and sheets (there go our nice wedding gift towels). 8O :(
I am just hoping he will eventually grow out of it? His skin is really oily and he supposedly inherited "crooked pores" from his mom.
I bet in a year or so it will get better. I used the benzyl peroxide stuff too and eventually it just stopped working for me. I have a few acne scars as well. I have used everything from Retin A to benzyl peroxide, tetracycline, minocycline etc. My skin is very oily too still. Probably will always be that way. I have huge pores too. It used to really bother me but I guess I just am used to it now.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thanks Kris!
I know he tried RetinA and it did not work for him. He also used a topical solution called Resimide for awhile, which is sulfur based.
He was on amoxycillin for years and now he is on doxycycline. He goes to his PCP in his old hometown to get refills for 6 months at a time, b/c whenever he goes to a dermatologist, they want him to go off his antibiotics for a month and see how he does and then give him a refill. Uh-uh. Not happening. That's just asking for some major acne. Then the dermatologist will only give him like a 2 month refill and wants to see him again. :evil:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts