Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I read this I thought "what nonsense," why would a cat EVER want to eat that? Have you ever heard of such an accident??

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Kittens tend to ingest litter when first learning to use the box which can be very dangerous. I think this is why they discourage the use of clumping litter for kittens. I supposed cats can also ingest litter while grooming, etc.

I have heard of cats ingesting the litter and it being dangerous. I personally don't know of any cats that actually take bites of the litter, but I'm sure it has happened before.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've read that using clumping litter (especially with kittens) can be dangerous as it will remain in their intestinal system and cause severe internal damage. The clumping litter will block up the kitten's insides and you might not even know anything is wrong until it's too late. Cats are better about proper litter etiquette (i.e. not eating the stuff :)), but it's still a good idea to stay away from clumping litter just to be safe.

On a side note that may be of interest: I recently read that celophane, when ingested on accident by cats, turns into a glass-like substance in kitty's tummy and causes fatal internal damage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Never seen a cat eat the litter, but it can't be good. My Mom's dog used to get the, umm, poop out of their cats' box and eat it though. Ewww! LoL! :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Jenn said:
Never seen a cat eat the litter, but it can't be good. My Mom's dog used to get the, umm, poop out of their cats' box and eat it though. Ewww! LoL! :lol:

My dog does the same thing! i keep the box in my cat's room (really my guest room, but she has made it her own) and I have a baby gate so she can get in and out by jumping over on to the chair and he can't get in. Every now and then i have moved the gate for some reason, and wouldn't you know every time he heads straight for the box and grabs himself a tasty treat. Yuck! I chase him, but he is too fast for me, and i am not sure I want to be the one pulling his mouth open for that anyway.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
bogolove said:
Jenn said:

My dog does the same thing! i keep the box in my cat's room (really my guest room, but she has made it her own) and I have a baby gate so she can get in and out by jumping over on to the chair and he can't get in. Every now and then i have moved the gate for some reason, and wouldn't you know every time he heads straight for the box and grabs himself a tasty treat. Yuck! I chase him, but he is too fast for me, and i am not sure I want to be the one pulling his mouth open for that anyway.....
LOL! So gross! Guess they find something appealing in it??? hehe.

·
Premium Member
9,135 Posts
Yes it happens! It is dangerous for kittens to ingest it. Try using Yesterdays News cat litter make from recycled newspaper. They are made into tiny pellets plus no unhealthy dust either

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our kitten ate her litter a few times when she was really little. I was sure to use regular clay litter because I knew it could happen. She only did it for a short while and now I can use whatever I want.

My Mom's dog used to get the, umm, poop out of their cats' box and eat it though. Ewww! LoL!
Funny.....I had a German Shepherd/Collie mix many years ago that when she got older (around 11) she started to eat her own poop! 8O We had to watch it too because we'd walk her on a leash...it was tough trying to stop her. Our vet said it was not too unusual and that it was usually a behavioral thing. Personally, I thought it came with senility. Whatever caused it, I don't know for sure but it was most definately gross!! :? Our daughter was in diapers at the time and the dog would tear apart the garbage to get to her diapers! Eeewww!

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's mostly the cats accidentally eatting the litter that is the problem. Tigger always seems to engest a little by licking his paws after jumping out. The clumping litter we used REALLY messed him up - he started throwing up blood and yellowish mucus - he also bled a little when he went to the potty.

We got him normal clay litter - and it stopped. I just use swheat scoop with Halifax - and he never has any problems.

·
Premium Member
9,135 Posts
Gabreilla Moushigo
Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:05 pm
We got him normal clay litter - and it stopped. I just use swheat scoop with Halifax - and he never has any problems.
A friend who uses Swheat stopped using it cuz she felt they had changed it. She said the litter didnt cover the odor from the cat box.

Has this been your experience or has it been a good experience?

·
Registered
560 Posts
It covers the oder as long as he covers his tracks so to speak. =P I can't smell it when he pees though - which is nice.

I also clean out his litter box every other day to every three days if I am extremely busy. How often does she clean out the litter box? That might have a lot to do with it. If she lets it go more than three days it's definitly going to stink up the place. :lol:

But so far - good experience with oder - and it actually clumps too! I can also flush it down the toilet! No health problems either! Definitly worth it!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
My kittens have alreayd tried munching on their litter (recycled newspaper pellets). Because kittens are so into chewing everything, I wouldn't put it past them to eat some clumping litter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
TAsunder said:
Doesn't clay litter have even more known health risks?
Probably more than the wheat in swheat scoop. Honestly - if I were in charge of Tigger I would definitly be getting him Swheat scoop as well. I was lucky that I got my dad to change his mind about clumping litter at all!

The sugestion is: Almost anything is better than clumping litter. At least in my book after seeing the results on Tigger. Clay is better - because even though his throw up is a little bit more yellowish than it should be... it isn't as dark... or contain any blood. Clay is better... but I would definitly go with swheat scoop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts