Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Before I begin I'd like to give you some background.

Me and my partner were very irresponsible when we purchased our lovely baby Ninja. We knew nothing at all about cats and actually we were shopping for a bunny instead. But, the moment my partner saw Ninja he fell in love and "had" to have him. It was very much an impulse and selfish buy - But now that Ninja is here we adore him!

We have been planning an overseas trip for ages and have now set a date for mid-year next year. This trip will last between 4-6 months... I am now quite set in my decision that Ninja will be an indoor cat, specially after a few of our neighbourhood cats have been terrorised by pesky teens and some have even been "cat-napped" by a mentally unstable man....
The problem is this... none of our friends or family understand that Ninja has to be an indoor cat. They believe that "cats should be free to roam" and that it is "cruel" for a cat to be inside. So sadly noone is willing to look after Ninja (on my terms) while we are away :(

We probably would not have gotten Ninja if we had considered this issue at the time. We are renting at the moment and plan to keep our stuff in storage while we are away. That means we will not have a home, so a cat sitter is not an option.

What I want to do is "loan" my cat out to someone who can't afford to have a pet of their own. I will pay for all food and vet expenses while we are away and possibly a small amount extra as a "thank you for looking afer my cat".

Have you or anyone you know done this before? Are people open to the idea, or is it too much of a hassle?? My perfect candidate would be a nice elderly person/couple who want some quiet company. I don't have grandparents of my own here and neither does my partner so we were thinking of advertising in rest homes or retirement villages.

What do you guys think of this idea? - and how can we deal with issues like Ninja damaging property such as curtains e.t.c - should we offer some sort of "bond" payment and they can keep the bond if there is damage done ....

Thank you - sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I would prefer to contact a vet to see about finding a foster/sitter to care for him at their home while you are away.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
I have seen this proposed on Craigslist before and I actually think it's a good idea. I think it's something someone like my Mom would do, who is wavering about getting another cat. I think this would be a perfect test period for someone who isn't sure, or who would just like to watch a kitty for a while. I don't think you really have to go towards an older person, either. Someone who works, but will keep her inside and be with her nights and weekends is fine, too.

·
Registered
981 Posts
See I wouldnt be able to do that. One simple fact is that you dont know if they will provide a good home for the cat while your away and 2 that what if they decide they dont wnat it while your gone so they take it to a shelter? I would just borde my kitty at the vets.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Also rememer a contract, preferrably with a lawyer involved. Not only that, but don't put it on Craigslist or the like.. find someone you know and trust.

People are not all nice and sweet. Not everyone will "watch"a cat for months, then give it back. A cat person is a good idea, someone who already has many, maybe even marie's mom! :lol:

Just be careful.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Well, it's official. I'm naive and too trusting. :oops:

The rest home and retirement villages would probably be a good place to start.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I would do it with my next door neighbor. She is a lonely widow who is 81 years old. She is unable to financially support an animal, but I know having a pet would make her life so much better. If I could send one of the kids over to be with her and all she had to do was provide love and daily care it would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah, it's one of those things that's totally reasonable and could work out well with the right person... or could work out really badly with the wrong person.

I'm not sure what the answer to finding the right person is. If you could find a petsitter who would be willing to bring the cat to his/her house that would work great, but I bet it would be expensive.

The most ideal thing is if one of your friends or relatives would be willing to keep him inside, of course. :-(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies..

We've exhausted our friends options. We are a young couple and most of our friends either live at home ... so parents not keen on idea....or in appartments where pets are not allowed. We don't have other relatives appart from our own parents in NZ and they've said a big NO - unless Ninja is kept outside... they were willing to let him inside on cold/wet periods....

We've contacted a few people that volunteer as cat foster parents and they've basically said no as they are overcrowded and also many are reluctant to add a healthy cat that belongs to someone to their mix. I understand this.

I have enquired about a cattery. There is a lovely one in our area, which will do .... but will cost us $1500! given the lenght of our stay. They may give us a discount but I'm not sure how much that could be. Anyway, I will go forth with my idea of looking for an elderly person to care for Ninja and hopefully we can find the right person. Since our trip isnt till next year we have time to get to know this person.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Well, heck, by next year you could have several new friends who are cat lovers. :D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You are in a very difficult situation, I am sorry..

Do you have family that can take him? Explain the risks of cats being outside without the proper supervision. If you are not confident that your family or friends could provide a good home for him you will be wondering how Ninja is doing!
Not an easy decision for sure!

·
Registered
709 Posts
marie73 said:
Well, it's official. I'm naive and too trusting. :oops:
Or an optimist and have great faith in people! :D I just am a worry-wart, and have lent THINGS to people that have "gone missing" so I wouldn't put it past someone to fall in love with the lil Ninja and want to keep him! I wish I could trust in humanity as much as you, Marie. :worship

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
I'm not that nice. 8O I just read those ads on Craigslist and want to help everyone and take in every unwanted cat, and sometimes I forget people have other agendas. If it wasn't New Zealand, my Mom actually would be the perfect person. I really hope she gets another kitty.

hechicera, you do have a very nice stretch of time to work this out and I'm sure the purrfect situation will arise by then. In the meantime, can we PLEASE have pictures?

·
Registered
469 Posts
A bit late to this thread, but thought I'd add my input...

I knew a woman in the US who just adored cats, but her husband put his foot down and said 2 was enough. As a compromise, she became an at-home pet sitter of sorts, and watched other people's babies when they went on vacation. She loved and cared for them just as much as she did her own kitties. That said, I'm sure there are other people like her who genuinely love pets but for whatever reason prefer not to have one full time. I'd be very careful about selecting someone though...

I'm actually in the same position right now. I "rescued" Sebastian in December and fell in love with him, but I'm spending July and August traveling around China. In the next month or so, I'll have to start looking for someone to care for my baby. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to look, and pet care isn't exactly Western-standard here, but I'm thinking of contacting the local Pet Association in Shanghai. Maybe you could try the same in your area?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Last year after I had successfully treated Malibu at home for Hepatic Lipidosis, my vet asked me if I would like to be an in-home pet sitter for their clients who go on vacation but have too many animals to board or want their pets to remain in their home.
I'd contact your vet, I think that would be your best resource.

I had to decline, but after sugery/recovery, I may pursue it locally in my own county, working through word-of-mouth with my vet.
h

·
Registered
24 Posts
hechicera said:
They believe that "cats should be free to roam" and that it is "cruel" for a cat to be inside. So sadly noone is willing to look after Ninja (on my terms) while we are away :(
I thought this was an ironic statement to read; my girlfriend and I were just discussing cats in our neighbourhood and I was saying how I think it's cruel when people leave their cat out to fend for itself; to catch diseases; be attacked by truly "wild" animals; catch its own food ...

Recall, our cats are essentially Feline Domesticus, not any of their ancestral relatives. I think that you have every reason to have your cat as an indoor cat; personally, I would have preferred it be that way all along.

Do you have no trustworthy family (can't really rely on friends 9 times out of 10, for matters of love or money) who would babysit your "child"?

·
Registered
469 Posts
hypertweeky said:
Pinkerbelle, that is lady is so sweet!!
Do you have any family or friends to care for Sebastian?
Well, all of my family is back in the US, but hopefully I can find a friend who will be willing to take him in! I know the vet does kenneling, but I really don't want to kennel him for 2 months! That's a long time to leave him alone in my apartment too, even with someone checking in on him. I just thought that if none of my friends can do it (a lot of them travel over the summer as well), then I might look into a pet sitter. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Luckily, I won't need anyone until July -- that gives me 2 months to figure it out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts