Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I know it's been a while since I've been on here but that's because, and I think I may have mentioned it before, that I just found out I'm expecting. I also got an update to that last week. We discovered with my 1st ultrasound that it's TWINS! Man!, I'm shocked, very excited, and scared all at the same time, but I just have to keep thinking that the Lord wouldn't give me twins unless he thought I could handle it.

Anyway, we had Buddy neutered last Tuesday. He came back home to us on Wednesday and things didn't really go so well the first couple of nights. He was so scared of the fact that he wasn't outside where he gets free reign and he was throwing himself against the closet doors, jumping up to the window and falling off, etc. It broke my heart to see him acting like this so on Friday afternoon I let him go outside. We never really saw him the rest of the day but by late Saturday evening he came back to our yard. In the meantime, I had spoken with the vet who said that we have to be "tenacious" about it and make him stay in the house for at least a week before letting him go outside to play again if we want to turn him into a house cat. He's right, and I know that. It's just that hubby and I are both pushovers when it comes to these furry little creatures and we hate to ruffle any feathers. So on Saturday evening we brought him back in the house and amazingly things have been going MUCH BETTER since then (as far as Buddy getting accommodated to the house anyway).

When hubby comes home from work he usually takes George and Herbie outside to run around our backyard for a while and I let Buddy out of his room to walk around the house and get used to everything. I still find him whimpering now and then in front of the patio door but he doesn't carry on like he used to.

The big problem we're having now is with Herbie and his acceptance of Buddy. Buddy accidentally got out of his room the other day and Herbie chased him down and pounced on him. We've tried putting Buddy in a pet carrier and bringing him out to the living room with us and letting George and Herbie smell him but Herbie just growls and swats at him. One time Buddy's tail happening to be hanging out of the cage and Herbie bit him.

Is this is sign that there's no hope for improvement? I sincerely hope not because Buddy is starting to act really good in the house and he's so well behaved. He's such a loveable little guy too!

As far as George goes, his heart gets hurt real easy and right now I think that he thinks we are trying to replace him with Buddy so he goes downstairs and hides.

Any pointers for further advancement? Should we leave Buddy COMPLETELY APART from George and Herbie with no sight contact for at least a few more days before trying to introduce them to each other through the pet carrier again or would it be okay to keep trying it a little each day, hoping that eventually Herbie will just back off and accept Buddy as his new little brother?

-Jolene

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, first off, CONGRATULATIONS on finding out it's twins!!
That is VERY exciting!!!! What a blessing. And I was SO excited to get a Buddy update :D I think it's a good sign that he is doing so well adjusting to the house.....just stay strong :roll: As far as him getting along with the other cats.....try not to give up hope. It could take quite some time, unfortunately. I'm sure it will work out . And congratulations on your twins again!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, out of curiosity, where did you find that "preggo lady" emoticon? I happened upon an IVF message forum that I now chat on with other IVF mothers and they have that emoticon along with a lot of other pregnancy-related ones but I didn't know there would be a way to use it on this forum.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
OH, and when you get to bestsmileys.com, click on "unsorted pages". The prego emoticon is on page 30 of the unsorted pages :D

NOTE OOPS.....I typed in the wrong link the first time 8O 8O I fixed it, it should work now :oops: Here it is again: http://www.bestsmileys.com

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Officially, my due date is March 4, 2005 but I'm thinking with twins I won't go past February 10th or so. I'm short in stature plus I'm sitting in a wheelchair so I hope the doc doesn't let the babies get too big before he induces me.

Also, I'm absolutely praying that I don't get put on strict bed rest for the last couple of months or so. I've heard about that from others and I think I'd go completely stir crazy. :( The way it is now I'm not very active on a day-to-day basis anyway (OBVIOUSLY, with the wheelchair) so maybe the doc will say it's okay to stay like this until I'm done. Keep your fingers crossed for me please! :wink:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Absolutely :D I will keep my fingers crossed for you the whole nine months :D On a side note, I had no idea you were in a wheelchair...not that it is important, but my Aunt is also in a wheel chair-she was born with Spina Bifida. I watched her and her husband struggle for YEARS trying to have a baby with no success....the ended up adopting my beautiful cousin Benjamin :) Anyway, I am SO HAPPY for your guys' success!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ME TOO!

I was born with spina bifida. We live in a fairly small rural-type community so I don't hear of, nor see, any others with spina bifida usually.

I'm just so fortunate that my husband and I could afford to go ahead and give IVF a try. Ever since I was little I can remember wanting babies of my own and now it looks like it's finally going to happen.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
That is so wonderful. You are truly blessed, and I know you will be an absolutely wonderful mother :)

My Aunt is in her mid-forties, and when she was born, the doctors at the hospital tried to tell my grandparents that they should just make her a ward of the state, and institutionalize her 8O Luckily, they said absolutely not, and took her home 8O

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I've heard stories like that before. I was born in 1974 in a fairly small community and there were no doctors around here with experience in spina bifida but thankfully Minneapolis/St. Paul is only 500 miles away. I was transferred there and the docs there were great. At no time were my parents ever advised that I should be institutionalized and, the fact of the matter is, that other than not being able to get around like the other kids did I have lead a completely full and productive life with "normal" friends.

My parents also took the stance that if I wasn't going to be able to be as physically active as other kids they were going to help me become a "thinker" as much as they could.

To this day, I have memories of driving from our house to Minneapolis (about 500 miles) for my 6-month checkups and my dad was drilling me on US States and their Capitals, and lots of other little things. My mom tells a story of a time when I was sitting in the doctor's office (about age 3) and the doc was absolutely flabbergasted because I was counting the cars in the parking lot outside his window! I also like to boast that I taught myself how to write in cursive by the time I was 6. I was in and out of orthopedic surgeries so much as a kid and spent a lot of time indoors and it just so happened one day that I picked up some greeting cards I had gotten after a hospital stay and started to "copy" the style of writing inside them.

Well, enough tooting my own horn. :wink: I REALLY need to get back to work. This is what stinks about working at home. I'd rather be chatting with you guys and instead I'm supposed to be on my work computer. :roll:

I'll check in later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts