Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a lot of problems with food causing diarhea in my kittens. I know it is definitely the food, as when I switch them back to purely frozen raw turkey mince, the diarhea stops.

They are also eating Royal Canin Hair and Skin dry kibble, which is down during the day. This diet is what they were fed on at the breeders, solely.

I have been hoping to bring in a little more variety to their meals, with some treat canned wet food once a day. They realy enjoy this and I dont want to take it away from them.

I have found a really nice range in Pets at Home called Purely, which has achieved some good reviews on many sites. I have bought a few cans of this to try them on it. They LOVE it, never seen bowls so clean or eaten so fast. My only concern is the range of flavours:

There is: Ocean Fish, Fish feast, Tuna, and Sardine. They also do plastic pots with 90% chicken, and one with salmon. I have heard that feeding fish too often is a bad thing.

How would you go about feeding this food alongside the turkey mince and kibble. Currently they are getting 200g of turkey mince each a day (split between 2 meals) and half of a 156g tin of the purely food. The only other recommended canned foods I can get hold of are Applaws and Bozita, but I have heard negative things about pretty much every food on the shelf!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Hi Gloworm.

I am from the uk too and I feed my cat Hilife which is a pretty decent wet food. I can normally get it in Sainsburys. Not sure if they do a kitten brand but depending on how old they are I don't think it really matters if you feed kitten or adult as long as they get enough :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh my local Sainsburys does have that! I was looking at it earlier but I was conscious it was nearly closing time so didnt spend too long in there. I will have to have a proper look some time at it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello :)

Applaws is not a bad food per se, but it's more of a treat food, as it lacks in some essential vitamins and minerals cats need. The manufacturers say it's complimentary to their dry food, so feeding it alongside what you do probably wont work for your kitties.
As mentioned above, HiLife is a good quality wet food. It has a nice 60% meat content. But, the only downside I see personally is that it's quite expensive, as you can get foods with a higher meat content for much less.
Do you have a Pets at Home near you? If you do I highly recommend Natures Harvest, or Natures Menu. Natures Harvest is extremely hight in meat (90%) and is a very, very good complete food. Natures menu has slightly less meat content at 71%, but it's still very good.

Hopefully this help you :) And I do apologise for the length, I can talk cat food for hours!
If you have any questions/want to know more send me a message!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I can't help you too much with foods available in the UK, but you're right when you say feeding fish all the time is not good. The other problem with fish is that, once they get a taste of fish, some cats will refuse to eat anything else. Fish flavors can become "addictive", so to speak. So, I'd keep the fish flavors to a minimum (perhaps once a week), and if you ever see your cats starting to refuse non-fish flavors after being fed fish, then I'd cut out fish flavors completely.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of my two cats love fish and would not touch food without some fishy smell in it. So, I was giving both of them the food with fish+poultry in it.

I did not realize until recently that the fish in the food was giving the other cat occasional diarrhea. Now I stopped all the fish and they both are fine.

To fix the finicky cat, I removed dry food that used to be available all day. Now she knows that if she doesn't eat at the meal time, she would not get her food during the day.
In addition, to their regular wet food (no fish in it), I sometimes sprinkle bonito (dried, thinly sliced tuna) on top of it. Pet food stores sell some kitty food topper to entice a cat to eat... Usually, it works for my fish-addict kitty.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Hello :)

Applaws is not a bad food per se, but it's more of a treat food, as it lacks in some essential vitamins and minerals cats need. The manufacturers say it's complimentary to their dry food, so feeding it alongside what you do probably wont work for your kitties.
As mentioned above, HiLife is a good quality wet food. It has a nice 60% meat content. But, the only downside I see personally is that it's quite expensive, as you can get foods with a higher meat content for much less.
Do you have a Pets at Home near you? If you do I highly recommend Natures Harvest, or Natures Menu. Natures Harvest is extremely hight in meat (90%) and is a very, very good complete food. Natures menu has slightly less meat content at 71%, but it's still very good.

Hopefully this help you :) And I do apologise for the length, I can talk cat food for hours!
If you have any questions/want to know more send me a message!

Nature's Harvest is a very good food, but almost double the price of Hilife..it costs around £10 for 12 pouches, but they do contain 25g more..still, not something I could afford on a regular basis :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nature's Harvest is a very good food, but almost double the price of Hilife..it costs around £10 for 12 pouches, but they do contain 25g more..still, not something I could afford on a regular basis :(
That's true, I forgot to mention prices.
If my cat would eat it it's what I'd feed him though, because I know how good the quality is.
Though I do also like HiLife, 'tis a good food. Charlie wont eat that either though, typical picky cat :roll:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm not in the UK so can't help with specific brands. But just a question. They're doing well on raw so have you considered going full raw? If not, then you can add variety by including chicken, quail, beef alongside the wet.

Cutting out the dry would be a good move since out of the 3 options (raw, wet, dry), dry is the worse. As mentioned, you can also cut out the free feeding change to fixed meals. That'll put some consistency and regulation for their digestive system.

If they're having digestive problems, then going grain-free would also be a good idea as some cats are allergic to the grains and will get diarrhea from it.

Yep, some cats get so fixated on fish that they may refuse anything else. It's sorta like kitty crack. But in order to get some omega-3, I would also feed it about once a week unless they start showing signs of fish addiction. At that point, I'd cut it out entirely and add fish oil supplement instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts