Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pedro got himself stuck in a cloth bag and in the process of trying to get himself out & before I could catch him he managed to pull off the nail part of one of his front claws. All that's left of it seems to be the inner fleshy part! I'd just clipped his nails a couple days ago so there wasn't really any hook to snag on.

I've washed it over and covered it with vitamin E. He's not limping and it doesn't seem to be hurting him. His squirming while I washed it seemed to be more about me firmly holding him than a sore paw.

I REALLY don't have the funds right now to call the emergency vet and they won't even offer first aid advice ver the phone. It's $175 for the emerg vet, plus then the cost of the actual visit, plus about $50 each way for a cab (perhaps more). And I just had him to the vet tonight for another unrelated reason and got a mostly clean bill of health - we have to work on some dental issues. That ate up my extra funds for the month.

Other than watching for infection, what can I do right now to help this heal?

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I took Gigi in when she pulled a nail out. Keep an eye out for infection, especially since they dig in the litter box. Gigi was given antibiotics and some pain meds, but I was told some owners don't bring their cats in for that at all. The thing I would worry about is pain, so try to see if he's licking at it a lot. I would call your regular vet tomorrow, they should at least give you some free advice since you were just there.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Marie! Definitely will call our own vet in the morning. I feel horribly guilty for not being able to take him over to the emergency vet, but it's a municipal run place (and the only emergency vet in the city ugh) and for something like this I KNOW it would easily be over $5-600 even for just the "here take this and go away" advice. I hate that it's cash making that decision. Of course, if he seemed in pain at all I'd suck it up and I'd borrow or put it on credit.

He really doesn't seem to be in pain and I actually only noticed because I saw pink on his paw and freaked out worried. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had his paw under the running water. In fact, even then I though there was part of the nail and grabbed the clippers to clip it down so it wouldn't snag on anything, but it came right off.

I know the polysporin drops are ok for kitty ears, but what about the ointment for a toe? Or should I stick to the vitamin E and simple cleaning for now until I talk with the vet?

Thanks for your quick answer. Off to check on him again. My poor fluffy baby!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Is there a way you could wrap gauze around it, and maybe put a baby sock over it? This would at least keep litter and dirt out of it while it heals.
Might not work, since I tried that with Paizly's leg stubs when she was little and still learning how to use them properly and kept getting them scratched and scraped...the sock and bandage kept coming off, so I gave up. She's 10 years old now, and never got really sick from infection (only a couple times, and they healed).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts