Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we took Taby in today to be neutered, then picked him up this afternoon. It all went well and he seems alright, just a little clumsy when walking. He was sure glad to be home! Didn't stop purring when he entered the room.

I'm supposed to spray something on the wound for the next 5 days and he also has to take half a pill. That's gonna be difficult :? I was told to either crush it, mix it with water and use a syringe and put it in his mouth or open his mouth, throw the pill in, then close it and blow into this nose! 8O ('cause that's supposed to make him swallow?) What's the best way to do this, you think?

Another thing that's been worrying me is that his blood exam results didn't come out too well. Some things are above normal but most under. Apparently he may have something called "Erlichia" 'cause by fleas, but they have to do a test and check that. :(

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Oh, poor Taby :? At least he is back home with his mommy now :) I've been lucky, all of my cats have taken pills pretty well. I have always had the most luck with having someone hold down the kitty's front legs, then open his mouth, put the pill as far back on his tongue as you can, then hold his mouth closed and stroke downward on his throat with your hand. I have never heard of blowing into their nose, but that might work, too. Good Luck!! :D

Try not to worry about his bloodwork.....he is a young cat, so I'm sure he will be fine. Also, at least you caught whatever it is early. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you're right :D The vet didn't seem worried at all. He said even if it was that, there were ways to control it. And he doesn't have any syptoms at all, so whatever it is, it must be a mild case of it.

Gee, I don't know if I'd have the guts to give him a pill that way! It must be the most effective way though... I'll think about it ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
There was a great article on giving pills to cats in the latest Cats and Kittens magazine... the best way, they said, was to cut open this certain type of treat - some variety of Pounce treat, I think... then take out the gooey stuff in the treat, and put the pill in, then seal it with the gooey stuff. Apparently the cats love it and they will eat it up with no problems. I'm certainly going to try it the next time my cats need pills (last time it was a total nightmare - 4 cats, 2 pills a day to each). It would probably work with any treat that you could somehow put a pill in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taby was pretty active last night after he slept a while. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think the pill I gave him today made him sleepy. Could be, since it's some type of antibiotic.

What I did was crush it and mix it with a bit of wet food. It's just half a pill but crushed it seemed like a lot! He didn't eat it all :?

For how long did you have to give him that liquid antibiotic RarePuss? The vet said 7 days! 8O

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never had to give liquid medecine before, thank goodness.

the first couple times I tried holding my cats down and forcing the medecine pill in their mouths. it didn't work well. they mostly ended up spitting it out and whining. for some reason, it still got rid of their worms. :)

then I got smart, cut up a pill into 2 pieces, then wrapping each piece in a "whisker lickin's" soft treat. they ate that up, no problem.

lesson learned. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm mixing it with the food, I wonder if he can taste it 'cause he takes a while to eat a really small portion, less than a spoon :?

And it's only half a pill every 24h so that's good :) 5 days to go for me :(

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When my male was neutered he didn't have to take any medication and I hdidn't have to spray anything on him :? I have however had to give pills to my other cat. I broke it up and put it in wet food like you are doing. I had to do it for 14 days I think. Anyway....I used a small amount of wet food. That way she didn't eat the portion without the pill parts in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts