Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time at these forums, looks pretty good. Anyhow down to the real deal. My cat got into a fight with another cat about a couple days ago and was beat up pretty good I'm sorry to say. He now has wounds on the side of his face and on his head. The side of his face is not looking too bad, however, the top of his head keeps draining pus. Its been going on for about 3 days, and we keep putting peroxide, neosporin, and even mecurechrome on the wound but it doesn't seem to heal as well as it should be. My question is, should I keep going on with the antiseptics and how long, if anything, should the draining process take? I want to take him to the vet (maybe so he can get some stitches perhaps), but my mom says that it is not necessary. Its a pretty medium sized area on his head, but it still worries me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think that you should take him to the vet ASAP. It may not seem that bad to you, but since you mentioned the gashes and the pus, there could be a good chance of infection soon to set in... not to mention what the other cat (i think it was a cat) could have possibly passed to him, should it have any viruses itself.. Good luck, let us know what happens!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Take the cat to the vet and stop trying to treat him at home. None of the things you're doing are helping! Peroxide can actually inhibit healing, and mercurochrome is toxic.

He needs antibiotics and proper medical treatment.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny you should say that, because we actually called the vet and found out that the draining is actually good for him. He has a great appetite and everything, so thats good. We also told the vet that we have been putting peroxide, neosporin, etc. on his head. She basically said the same thing you did, but we also said that recently we have been putting warm compresses with epson salt on his head. She said keep doing that and do not bother with anything else, except perhaps the neosporin now and then but not too much. But since we have been applying the salt, the draining has stopped and the wounds are starting to heal slowly but surely.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, it should be draining. Hot compresses definitely help. But some of the nastiest abscesses I've seen have started with these bites to the head. If your vet is comfortable having you treat him at home, that's fine, but be very careful! If the wound seals over again you can get a very ugly abscess re-forming underneath if there are still bacteria there. In my experience the best way to get rid of them down deep is antibiotics.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree. I'm surprised the vet didn't want to at least examine the cat and take its temperature to see if there is an infection. Either way I hope your kitty makes out o.k. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I hope your kitty gets better soon. I'm really surprised your vet doesn't think you should bring it in.. he/she should be on antibiotics. Good luck though!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Neosporin is also poisonous to cats -- make sure he doesn't lick it. I hate to say it, but outdoor cats that develop weeping wounds don't last half as long as indoor cats. Don't listen to your mom -- cats getting wounds like this is not a normal thing that a cat's body is meant to deal with. This is a myth -- DOMESTICATED cats get infections and diseases easily when outside. I can't believe your vet didn't want to check him for diseases -- he could have gotten any number of things from that other cat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It should be draining, but you should take it to the vet because it could be deeper than you could attempt to treat and home (which may not even be effective).

I had to car for a cat who was in a fight and got infected. His cut was only about a week old when they brought him in, and he needed surgury, and had to have a straw sticking out of his front to drain puss.

Good luck - our cat healed up just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts