Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking a cat to be neutered next week (if you read the Top cat is top pet story, that's the one)
I wondered if I should ask the vet to give him a pre-surgery blood analysis to check for disases. This cat belongs to a person that considers him his pet thought the man can't afford vet care and the cat roams, has sired most of the ferals I feed, etc.
Thanks..

·
Registered
428 Posts
some tests

I would make sure he's tested for feluk/aids, since he was a playboy!! I'll leave other blood analysis advice to Dr. Jean because my personal preference may not be what is best for everyone else. Take care.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Testing for feline leukemia and AIDS (FIV) is imperative in a tomcat who has been allowed to roam.

There is very little to be gained by other routine blood tests. One time in a few thousand they may find something. But in a young, apparently healthy cat, it's not likely to gain any important information.

However, the vet *should* do a thorough physical exam, including looking at his teeth, listening to his heart, palpating his abdomen, etc. This should be automatic, but not all vets will do it. I hear a lot of murmurs; sometimes these need to be checked further before anesthesia i deemed safe. And I once diagnosed a diaphragmatic hernia in a healthy-looking adult tomcat in to be neutered; had I anesthetized him without knowing that, he would very likely have died.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank-you Dr. Jean, I'll ask the vet to give the cat a check-up. I'll ask him first..they have done surgery in all of my cats but I really don't know
if they checked them before. Thank-you again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts