Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 year old tabby cat, Scottie, is having problems in the bathroom department. He can't seem to finish pooping and alas brings it out of the box still attached and gets it all over and stuck to himself. It is quite a big problem. suggestions on what to do? Has he lost his sphincter muscle capability? Is there anything we can do?

Other than this he is in good health, still active, jumps on beds and such. He is doing so great I don't want this to be a problem. But I can't have poop in the house. Really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have you consulted your vet? He could have a sphinter problem or it could be something else. Is his stool formed or runny or hard? Use of a cat laxative might help or even a little metamucil in his wet food for bulk. But you really should consult with a vet since bowel problems may mean disease.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Constipation often accompanies kidney disease, so you should take your cat to the vet and have a screening blood panel done. This is a good idea for all older cats.

Then, once you've done that you may consider switching him to an all wet food diet, to increase his hydration. Encourage drinking, and if he already eats can food, you might add some water to it. We always recommend Miralax, 1/4 to 1/3 tsp once or twice a day sprinkled on the food seems to help.

If the constipation gets really bad sometimes cats need to be given enemas. Older cats can actually get really bad cases of stool impaction and sometimes have to be manually disimpacted. Not fun! So the best bet would be a trip to the vet before anything like that even thinks about happening!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts