Cat Forum banner

Healthy cat food from petco/petsmart?

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Ianthe 
#1 ·
are the only ones available pretty much just nutro and royal canin?

#3 ·
Has anyone heard?

Has anyone heard that Authority (Petsmart) brand cat food is considered one of the better foods? I saw this listed on a web site that talked about the Premium foods, i.e., Innova, Wellnes, Felidae. There on the list was Authority. I thought the label read pretty good however, my cats don't care for it.

#4 ·
I went to Petsmart the other day. They do sell Blue and if your store doesn't have it, they sell it online. The ingredients looked really good, but its really expensive. I'm not really sure why I bought it. I got rougly a 2lb bag for around $9. To me, that's way too much to spend on cat food.

For now, I'm just mixing it with the food I have now, and I think eventually I'll be mixing it with another "good" but affordable dry food when I run out of what I'm using now.

As for the Authority, I've never tried it, and can't seem to find the ingredients anywhere. I'll try to search a little harder later on. Anyone else know what's in it?

I don't have a Petco near me, so I can't be much help there.

#6 ·
Abhay is here to help :D

Jonsgirl, you are right. Petco carries Natural Balance, and PetSmart carries BLUE. Both are Ultra-Premium.

BLUE does not make a canned food...FYI.

Authority is worse than Nutro! Instead of the rice products Nutro has, Authority has a bunch of corn products.

Take Care,
Abhay

#8 ·
spittles said:
Abhay is here to help :D
Authority is worse than Nutro! Instead of the rice products Nutro has, Authority has a bunch of corn products.
Nutro has a lot of rice AND corn products...if you are talking about Nutro Max atleast. I have had not experience with Authority, or even read the ingredients though. I tried to look it up online and came up empty handed though.

#9 ·
No, I am talking Nutro Natural. Nutro has more rice products, whereas Authority has more corn products. I believe rice products are eaiser to digest.

Plus, I believe Authority only has like one meat source, which is Chicken Meal. At least Nutro has other meats in it.

Take Care :D
Abhay

#16 ·
This really hit home for me since we recently lost our dog to cancer and I had also experiemented with some food supplements and holistic treatments! Unfortunately, I didn't educate myself about foods and supplements that have an effect on the prevention of cancer until it was too late.

I will be trying this food and if it works out, it will comfort me that it's coming from a company that is contributing to the battle with canine and feline cancer.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find this in our PetsMart store soon, but in any case that you for the website.

I copied this from the website listed above:

"The Blue Buffalo Foundation for Cancer Research was established in 2003 to provide a source of funds for universities and clinics who have programs dedicated to gaining a greater understanding of the causes, treatments and prevention of canine and feline cancer.
The Foundation’s initial activity will be to provide grants to a select group of universities and clinics as determined by its Directors. Over time the Foundation’s goal is to increase both the number of grants and the amount of each grant as the BLUE brand grows and sales increase.
While the Foundation will support all areas of cancer research, our focus will be on the use of superior nutrition and natural supplementation in a preventative context as this is where we can make the greatest contribution to the dogs and cats we love."

#17 ·
They are great though! I think they are best talkers too! Have fun with him!
She is still young, and the only word she can say clear is "pretty bird!" :lol:

The cats here are THRILLED to have her. I had a couple cats try to wack her, but most try to stay away. They all get freaked out when she flaps her wings 8O

Abhay

#19 ·
She is actually very stupid right now :D She can't say anything beside "pretty bird!".....which she hasn't even said while shes been at my house.

AddFran....do you have an African Grey? I have to clip her nails tomorrow, and I need some tips :?

Thanks
Abhay

#20 ·
I did! I was in highschool when he died (he should have lived a lot longer, but a friend was watching him while we were out of town and her dog ended up killing him - very sad story).

It helps if you wrap them in a towel, we did this when we were feeding him with a syringe too as a baby. How long are you watching this bird, it may be able to wait until they get back. You should only cut the very tippity tips otherwise it can affect their balance and cause clumsiness. Be careful! They also tend to favor one special person to them, and if you are not that person, they may not take to kindly to you performing such tasks on them.

Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you they are great!

#21 ·
Authority canned ingredients are good. Quote from Petsmart.com:

Authority Adult Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for your adult cat. Authority uses high quality meat proteins and never uses by-products, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
I couldn't find an online ingredients list, but I've looked at the label and the ingredients look good.

#22 ·
AddFran, the owner wanted me to clip the nails because he doesn't like doing it :roll: Plus, I am going to have the bird for a few more weeks and my arm is SO scratched up.

I just e-mailed petsmart.com and asked for the ingredients of the Authority Chicken and Rice Formula. They usually e-mail back fairly quick. I will let everyone know what they are when I get a reply.

Take Care :D
Abhay

#25 ·
My 2 cents on Authority:

When I first moved out of my mom's, started working at the vet, and brought baby Gaylord home, i was DETERMINED that THIS cat would eat decent food, for it's entire life. We had a lot of cats growing up, but my parent's didn't know better, and they all ate Meow Mix, Cat Chow, Chefs Blend, etc. Anyway, I did alot of label reading (though I wasn't as informed as I am now.....but I was only 19) I was also stripped on funds. I settled on Authority, I remember that it had no by-products, artificial coloring, etc, and it is VERY reasonably priced. Gaylord loved it......he ate the kitten formula until he was 1 year old, then the adult....both my cats loved it. I am trying them on Chicken Soup now, because I think the Authority has a bit of corn, etc, in it......but I am interested to see the label.....I want to see how good of a decision I made at 19 :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.