Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the news this morning that there has been an 8% increase in the more healthy choice foods in fast fod restaurants like Wendy's and McDonalds. And I had to laugh out loud at the HUGE 2 page pop-up advert that was included in InStyle magazine a couple of issues ago for the "Fruit and Walnut Salad" from McDonalds. These chains seem to be going to a lot of trouble to get these new menu items noticed!

We don't eat much fast food (if any) any longer, and these new choices have not lured us back at all.

So I was just wondering if any of you have tried these items, which ones, and what were your thoughts on them?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Yeah like those salads they were advertising at McDonalds where they gave away those little heart monitors or whatever..did you see all the crap they put on those salads that they advertised as being so healthy. You'd probably be better off just having the Big-Mac.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I don't eat the salads at fast food restaurants. It's not why I go to them. I want a cheeseburger and fries. There's nothing wrong with having a cheeseburger, small fry, and a small soft drink once in a while at a fast food restaurant (this is called an All-American Meal at U.S. McDonald's). The problem is having a double quarter-pounder meal supersized with a coke every day. And the kind of person who does that isn't likely to buy a fruit-and-walnut salad instead.

I don't have a problem with the new "healthy" alternatives being offered at fast food restaurants, but I don't buy them. And they don't actually look very good, either.

I do enjoy the baked potatoes and chili that Burger King and Wendy's offer. Those are low in fat depending on what you put in/on them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was eating at Fat Macs (family pet name for McD's) for a while last semester. After a while the burgers and fries were getting old. I found that a six peice nuggets and one of those yogurt parfaits was just as filling and it was about 400 calories. Fat Macs was about the only option as my college is in a very small town.
I don't like all the salad hype, they're way too expensive and don't fill you up for long.

I don't eat the salads at fast food restaurants. It's not why I go to them. I want a cheeseburger and fries. There's nothing wrong with having a cheeseburger, small fry, and a small soft drink once in a while at a fast food restaurant (this is called an All-American Meal at U.S. McDonald's). The problem is having a double quarter-pounder meal supersized with a coke every day. And the kind of person who does that isn't likely to buy a fruit-and-walnut salad instead
I second that!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I love the salads at fast food restaurants. My husband is big on the burgers, but I try to avoid them. Chicken caesar salad with just the tiniest bit of dressing.... mmm! Or I'll opt for a grilled chicken sandwich, hold the sauce. Both good alternatives, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
998 Posts
IMO The HEALTHIEST CHOICE is NOT to eat any to begin with! :lol:

I'm lucky though because we have SEVERAL healthy places to eat here that are very fast. This one here is one of my favorites:

http://www.sonomataco.com/

And the prices there aren't too bad either.

Ciao!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for those who have replied, but I'm asking specifically if you HAVE TRIED these new foods from these restaurants. We all know that fast-food places aren't healthy choices, by any means, so please try to keep it on topic.

·
Banned
804 Posts
I eat subway...lots and lots of subway...the oat breads with a turkey/chicken breast coldcut, lots of veggies and only a small splash of sauce. but i go on a strict fruit and veggie diet every few months that lasts about a week and cleans my whole system up

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Willow771 said:
I eat subway...lots and lots of subway...the oat breads with a turkey/chicken breast coldcut, lots of veggies and only a small splash of sauce. but i go on a strict fruit and veggie diet every few months that lasts about a week and cleans my whole system up
I think Subway is one of the healthiest fast food places around. When you go in you can ask for their food values list & then decide which sandwiches have the lowest fat content. Keep in mind how that guy Jared (from the commercials) really did loose a ton of weight on the Subway diet.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
pookie769 said:
Keep in mind how that guy Jared (from the commercials) really did loose a ton of weight on the Subway diet.
Eating nothing but veggie subs with no cheese or sauce. It's all he could afford.

And how many of us can handle doing that every day? :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have tried pretty much all of those things being that I was on Weight Watchers not too long ago. The fruit and walnut salad is good but has 310 calories, as much as a cheeseburger. Silly old me didnt know this and was eating a 6pc nugget along with it...oops there go all of my points for the day! :oops:

My other faves are Wendy's BLT and Meditteranean salad (along with almost everything on their dollar menu), Chik Fil A's grilled chicken salad and chargrilled sandwich, fresh fruit cup, and McD's California Cobb salad (grilled chicken instead of breaded). Have to pay attention to the amount of dressing you use through. Mmmm...I'm hungry now!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've had McD's fruit and yogart parfaits. I like them. I'll occasionally grab one on my way to work if I didn't have time to grab something at home. Although, I'd still prefer a sausage egg mcmuffin!!!!

I LOVE Wendy's salads! I like the mandarin chicken one and the oriental salad.

I go on Subway kicks from time to time, where that is all I eat for dinner for a week or so (usually in the summertime when it's too hot to cook). Unfortunately I like the subway melt, definately not super healthy, but oh so good with the bacon!!!!

We do have one fast food restaurant here that is actually pretty health. It's called Teriyaki Chicken Bowl. For about $3.50 you get a big bowl of rice with lots of steamed veggies and bar-b-qued chicken on it. If you don't add the extra sauce (which is SOOOO good), it's actually pretty healthy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I actually find that the Happy Meal is the best choice for me. 4 pc McNuggets is about 170 calories and a small fries is 230, but the apple dippers and caramel dipping sauce are 35 and 70 calories respectavly

which means for me that 4 McNuggets, some apple and caramel are actually lower in calories than a Fruit And Walnut Salad

270 for the happy meal to 310 for the salad(with the candied walnuts being the most "expensive" with 140 calories)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Chicken McNuggets are FATTY...I hope none of you are referring to that as one of the "healthy" choices.

The fruit and walnut salad as well as the fruit and yogurt parfait may have calories in them, but what doesn't? The calories don't matter as much as what is in it. Lowfat yogurt is healthy just as long as you don't eat a vat of it. And fruit is much better for you than fatty breading and processed chicken that has been fried. Go take a walk and those calories won't matter. No one is going to lose any weight and keep it off by trying to avoid fat and calories altogether. It's better to pay attention to how MUCH you are eating, and the actual "real food" content in what you are eating.

I have tried the fruit and walnut salad and the yogurt parfait. I think they taste very good. I refuse to try the salad with the chicken in it -- because that chicken is gross.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts