Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise me. My siamese, Hartley (7 years old) had a U & E blood test prior to anaesthetic for tooth extraction. He has a raised creatinine which means he has already lost 70% of his kidney function. My husband actually took him to the vet, and I guess he tried to play it down to spare my feelings. BUT, I am an Intensive Care Nurse, so knew it was not good. I have looked up info on the internet and it seems there is no hope and I am going to loose my beautiful, blue eyed boy. I have only had him and his sister for two years as they were rescued. I really just can't bare it. I look at him and just cry. I thought that this forum might be the only place where people would understand. I don't want to watch him get so ill. He is okay at the moment, eating and drinking but he is loosing weight and has some of the other symptoms of chronic renal failure. Has any one else been through this? or have any idea how I can prolong a good quality of life?

Thank you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't know anything about chronic renal failure...but I just want you to know that I totally feel for you. I have a Siamese cat as well, and I love him to death. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I am sure lots of people on this forum can provide helpful information.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Julie, I had a very much loved 16 year old cat put to sleep because of renal failure. It stated with convulsions, so the vet thought he had walked through a yard that had been treated for weeds. He gave him fluids (you would know more about that than I; it might have been intravenous.) My Blacky lived for a whole year, but I had to take him to have the treatment repeated every few months. Then he was fine for a while. I so hope you get another GOOD year with your cat. You'll know when the time has come to say goodbye. God bless.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hi Julie,
just like Maleke I am clueless. I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that I hope it will all turn out well for Hartley and you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. I am feeling slightly less hysterical now.

I have another question, however, hartley is due his annual boosters. Given his condition and prognosis, should he have them? i don't want to stress his immune system any more than I have to. he is pretty much an indoor cat nd jsut goes out for the necessary visits and a bit of sun.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I would call the vet about that one, Julie. I think it would be best if he stayed inside, unless you are with him. I guess my Blacky had a convulsion when he went out, because my neighbor, who knew him well, did not recognize him because he was foaming at the mouth, and thinking he was a rabid cat, threw a bucket of water on him. I felt horrible that he had to go through such a shock during his last days. I hadn't thought of that in years, but it still breaks my heart to think of it. He had such dignity, and had lived 16 years. My heart goes out to you!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, since the AVA has changed its recommended vaccine booster time from every year to once every three years for indoor cats he should be fine. I defintely think his comfort is an utmost priority right now. Give your baby a big hug for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts