Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to the vet and got both my cats an annual exam, rabies, and everything. Sugar was perfectly healthy but Twinkie was being a bit difficult and growling so the vet couldnt really tell if he did have a slight heart murmur or not. This really concerns me and the vet told me to come back so I can check this out to be sure. Has anyone had this problem, or had a cat with a heart murmur? It sounds pretty serious and I would definitely get all the x rays and everything done when I get money soon. Any suggestions on what to do would help :?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't have much helpfull information to share with you.
But I have the same similar questions myself.
My cat Tage, was said to have a slight heart murmer when I brought him into the vet VERY VERY ill when he was about3 or 4 months old, perhaps even less.

No vet has made mention of it since, I don't know if it went away of if they didn't notice etc.
I tried to breifly ask the doctor at my practice, and all I basically got out of him was "well, cat hearts can be trickey." and "sometimes kittens whom have a heart murmer from the time they are very young, will typically not get worse."

I have not a clue what to do to help or get rid of a heart murmer, if that is even possible!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, cat hearts can be trickey." and "sometimes kittens whom have a heart murmer from the time they are very young, will typically not get worse."
I was told by my vet once a cat has a heart murmur, it doesnt get better usually. As they get older they will not be as active, and may not live a longer prosperous life b/c of it. That may explain why Twinkie doesnt play as much but maybe not. My vet said she can take x rays just to see what is the problem basically but anything after that I may have to go to a cardiologist or something to get further details about it and may have to get surgery for him if it is really a heart murmur. I hope it isn't this serious tho but I dont know.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
my Angel has a slight hear murmer, and shes just a young cat. But my senior cat may have a serious heart murmer but we can't come up with the money for the exam to find out :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts