Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote to this forum several weeks ago about my cat and what I thought was a breathing problem-thank you to everyone who replied to my question. I took my cat to the vet about an unrelated problem, and I mentioned the noise she often makes when breathing. He examined her and said she has a slight heart murmur. Is this anything to worry about? Does it mean she has a higher chance of developing heart problems in later life?
Chris.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My Angel has a heart murmer, the vet said it was nothing to worry about ... yet. My older cat, Clyde, had a heart murmer too.. It released a bloodclot into his veins and paralysed his back half. In a sad attempt to save his legs, it ended up causing more problems.. It was either try or have him PTS.. Well, we tried. Not 2 hours later, he got worse. Breathing irregularly, gasping for breath.. he had to be PTS immediately to end his suffering.

I suggest getting a scan of some sort to see how far along into his heart murmer his is in. I don't know if they have preventatives but it may be something you should look into.

As saying, Angel is healthy and happy besides her heart murmer.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My little girl (four years old) was born with a heart murrmur. We had a scan done last year. The doctor said it isnt anything to really worry about and that she will probably grow out of it in time.

I think they can cause problems though, so maybe talk to your vet about a test/scan being done. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Twinkie has a slight heart murmur and when I first went to the vet it sounded so so horrible! They wanted me to go do all these scans and surgeries! I was really worried at first but he seems to be living a happy comfortable life right now, doing everything normal, including eating alot! The vet I go to now mentioned it, but nothing urgent. So I'm assuming its slight and alot of cats have slight murmers.

Anyways when I pick him up, he gasps kinda and yea he's not one to play for a long time b/c Sugar always takes over but I honestly think he's fine. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I do cardiac ultrasounds on humans and I will explain what a murmur does to the heart. Murmurs are extra heart sounds caused by either a valve that isn't closing properly or like in elderly adults when the valve area is stenosed or narrowed. I imagine that murmurs effect animals in a similar way. Most babies have murmurs and grow out of them and many healthy adults have them. When someone has a murmur that gets progressively worse then what is happening is the when the blood is ejected from the high pressure ventricles it is being pushed back thru the defective valve into the atrium's which are low pressure chambers. If the murmur is significant then the increased pressure will make the low pressure atrium get bigger because it can't handle the extra volume. When the heart enlarges then it can't squeeze well so blood starts to pool and causes blood clots.

Not sure if this helps or not, but most of us have murmurs that don't cause any problems. It's the murmurs that get worse that cause heart damage to occur.

I wouldn't worry about a slight heart murmur because she could have a slight murmur forever. I'm not educated in feline cardiac disease, but like I said above, I'm guessing it is similiar to humans. I very well could be wrong. :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts