Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading up on heart disease and normal rates of pulse and respiratory. I checked Friskie just out of bed and she was around 148 as far as pluse goes. The normal being 140-220. I checked her respiratory while resting and that set in 21. The normal is 20-30. So seems like her heart is in pretty good shape unless those are misleading. Also cats on the lower end are usually in good shape as far as I know.

Was wondering if any of you check your cats heart and breathing?? Be interesting to compare or get more info.. Anywhere it shows how to check all of this from this site..

PS I didn't check her temperature lol

Check Your Cat's Vital Signs at Home

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
It's a very good idea to know your cat's vital signs and what the norms are. But it's also very important to find a vet with the equipment necessary to check feline blood pressure, esp. if you have an elderly cat with a chronic disease like kidney disease or hyperthyroidism (both of which are often accompanied by hypertension). Normal pulse and respiration don't necessarily mean that your cat's heart is healthy or that she doesn't have high blood pressure.

Laurie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's god to get that tested out either way. Last check up went good but I'm one of those guys that checks his own pulse every night. I like to do the same with the cat before bed to see if everything is on its regular schedule

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts