Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't recall ever seeing a discussion about them or heartworm disease in our kitties here.

Do you use them? If so, what brand? If not, why not?

I don't. Tina is strictly indoors and it's not like we have mosquitoes indoors. The vets I've used have never actually suggested it or brought it up for her. We test the dogs yearly for heartworm antigens and they're on preventatives. I know the occurrence rate is only 1-5% of that in dogs in endemic areas.

It's not really expensive so I don't think that's the reason for it not being suggested. You can get Heartgard (Ivermectin) for $4.96 a dose which probably isn't going to break the bank for most people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use Revolution which works for flea/tick and heartworms. I was told it was important because mosquitoes can get indoors, also we have a dog and though he is on flea/tick/whatever preventative as well there is still the chance of tracking bugs in. Also, I really don't want fleas. It isn't cheap though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also use Revolution to protect my cats, I inject my dogs with Ivomec (ivermectin) once every three months. I will never use any of the new oral medications as preventatives for my cats, it's way easier to wash off the poison than remove it from the body. And I've seen several cases now at our Neurology vet clinic with the use of Trifexis overdose on dogs with only one dog surviving.

" Anything you put on your pets skin, in your pets mouth, or in your pets eyes and ears is absorbed through the tissue into the blood stream. Make sure you know what is being used in your preventatives as they are pesticides that you are putting on your pets. " - Dr. L at the emergency clinic says this to clients who bring their animals in with topical reactions (usually to Hartz)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Heartworm is slowly creeping towards us but isn't common around here yet. We are starting to get warnings about going to other areas of the UK on holidays and even more about the dangers to those dogs who are inclined to eat slugs and snails (although my dog is a dreadful scavenger she doesn't do that!). As yet, vets locally seem only to give it serious consideration if animals (cats or dogs) have been further afield. We also aren't an area where mosquitos thrive - very wet but not warm. enough.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I use revolution personally. Mostly for the flea and other parasites it prevents. HW in cats isn't as likely, but still possible, even in indoor cats. I got bit by a mosquito in bed the other night. And sadly, the dogs in the backyard ARE HW positive. Don't get me started. Most cats are able to fight off HW infection with their natural immunity because cats aren't the normal host. HW infections in cats usually consist of only a few adult worms and aren't likely to cause the same problems they do in dogs, but, can still be deadly.
I really like revolution and feel like its better safe than sorry. Its easy enough to prevent.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also use Revolution to protect my cats, I inject my dogs with Ivomec (ivermectin) once every three months. I will never use any of the new oral medications as preventatives for my cats, it's way easier to wash off the poison than remove it from the body. And I've seen several cases now at our Neurology vet clinic with the use of Trifexis overdose on dogs with only one dog surviving.

" Anything you put on your pets skin, in your pets mouth, or in your pets eyes and ears is absorbed through the tissue into the blood stream. Make sure you know what is being used in your preventatives as they are pesticides that you are putting on your pets. " - Dr. L at the emergency clinic says this to clients who bring their animals in with topical reactions (usually to Hartz)
A lot of these new preventatives are having large rates of adverse effects too. I keep hearing awful things about Trifexis and Comfortis. My friends dog is lethargic and vomits after taking Trifexis for about 24 hours.

I still only use Advantage II or Frontline Plus for the dogs and cats. It seems to be the safest available and it's OTC. I wouldn't use anything other than Heartgard Plus or Iverhart Plus (FDA approved generic) for heartworm prevention in both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Revolution on Smudge and am considering putting Ollie (dog) on it as well. Ollie won't need to change for 6 more months as that is when I will be out of HW meds. He also gets Comfortis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts