Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends and Happy New Year.
I took all 3 of our 2 year old cats for their yearly exams and shots. Feleuk/fiv, 3way+Calici. One of them needed a rabies too. The long haired domestic had evidence of tapeworm.(rice-like pieces stuck in hair around his anus) So the vet treated all 3 with drontal.
They were all pronounced healthy, but on their report cards it was suggested that we start using a monthly heartworm preventative dewormer year-round.
Something like HeartGuard... Sounds like they'd need a $35.00 test before we started too.
These are indoor and outdoor cats.
I'm just wondering what you all think / do...:patback

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
All of my cats are strictly indoors, and I have no real experience with outdoor cats except the few ferals I've seen. I do know that heartworm medication is important, especially if you have cats that are exposed to the outdoors, because while you can regulate most of what goes on in your house and keep things clean, there is no telling what your cat can get into outdoors.

Even though my girls are strictly indoor, I do still give heartworm and flea/tick meds monthly for prevention. I normally use Revolution, but I think I'm going to be switching over to Advantage Multi, because the last time I gave Revolution one of my girls had a bad reaction to it (hair loss which is common, but she scratched bad at it causing it to bleed). Never had to do any extra testing though.

Hopefully someone can give you a better answer for what your looking for. I can only tell you what I do from my own experiences. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe use heartgard

I called Beckley Vet hospital. They took very good care of our flame pointed persian, Turtle, who passed away last year just shy of his 15th Birthday. He was strictly an indoor cat. Anyway, they will sell me Heartgard for all 3 cats w/o any blood tests. I guess we should do this... :love2

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You shouldn't have to test first for cats. The reason you do in dogs is because if your DOG is positive for heartworms and has a heavy load of them, the preventative can kill the microfilaria (baby heartworms) too fast and cause a massive reaction/rapid illness/death.
Cats, however, are not the natural host for heartworms. IF a cat gets heartworms, its usually only one or two that live to maturity to reside in the heart/lungs. One or two mature heartworms can't produce enough microfilaria to instigate such a reaction.

If your cats go outside, I would say a monthly dewormer/preventative is probably a good idea. Heartguard is a good product that will cover the most common parasites.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It never used to be the norm because it never used to be a problem but the reality these days are the heartworms are adapting and we are now seeing more and more cats getting the disease. Yes, if your cat goes outdoors, by all means DO put her/him on the preventative. This is vital, because it only takes a couple of worms (even just one) to make a cat become extremely ill, and can even be fatal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Kobster and RachandNito

Thanks for the good advice from caring folks that work in veterinary care.
As I said in an earlier post, I always get good answers here...
The 3 boys, Pumpkin, Blackie, and Peaches, Thank everyone !!! :wink:wink:wink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts