Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, until I find a vet I like and cash my next paycheck, I have one very very horny kitten. Jade is reallly young to be in heat, like, not quite 5 months old but as far as I can tell, she's showing all ths sings. She's whiny... constantly meowing and purring for attention, getting in what I call the "ready" position when anyone looks at her twice, and being very snuggly in general. Now, she's a friendly kitten to begin with but she's been waking us up at 4 am with vocalizations and the "reay" position is rather embarrassing with people over.

Short of getting her spayed ASAP, is there anything I can do to get her to quiet/calm down? Also, how long does the typical feline heat usually last?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I'm not certain how long they last. I had been under the mistaken impression that they remained in heat constantly until they were bred, but in another reply here at CF, somewhere, there really *is* a heat 'season' and a heat 'cycle' the cat goes in/out of. I am not certain, but I *think* their heat cycle is 21 days and they spend 7 of that in full estrus (heat).

There *is* a way to try to induce her to go out of heat, but it is rather "personal" :oops: in nature and must be used with great caution to not harm the cat.
Are you *sure* you want to know about that? 8O

(it isn't *bad*)

(...but it does involve a person helping the cat to think they've been bred) :oops:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently heard that a cat can be erm... "probed" to help with heat behavior. From your description, it sounds like the heat cycle for a cat lasts about a month like with dogs. Good to know! Thank you for the information, I'll be working on finding a vet sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
146 Posts
eeek! :oops: i dont think i could bring my self to 'probe' my cat......just....awkward. I love cats to death, but i just think cats, and dogs, in heat are really gross!

what about all this 'herbal calming' junk i see at the pet store? anyone ever tired any of it?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
DustinG. said:
...what about all this 'herbal calming' junk i see at the pet store? anyone ever tired any of it?
I believe that stuff works to help calm reactive animals in stressful situations down just a notch.
I do not think they would be effective against instinct and hormones.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Enjoy the backrubs while you can.

When in heat a female adds 'treading' with the back legs to kneeding with the front paws. During that time my cat Fay hopped on my back when I was in bed and spent about 20 minutes one night kneeding and treading on my back. I thought it was just the usual 'looking for/making a comfy spot to sleep until I heard about treading. I loved it because I had a comforter over me to blunt the claws and it was a great massage. Unfortunately she didn't uderstand 'a little to the left'.

Another night she did the same thing on my legs with her hind legs slipping off each side. It felt great but I didn't find out till later that she was actually having a special moment with my knee.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dave_ph said:
Another night she did the same thing on my legs with her hind legs slipping off each side. It felt great but I didn't find out till later that she was actually having a special moment with my knee.
:yikes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jade hasn't taken the kneading approach but that would have been nice! She hasn't been able to get out of the apartment at all and she's harnessed when she's out of my room because she has made some runs for the door.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts