Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid-90's today, same thing tomorrow and Tues is supposed to be near 100 8O....and the A/C died on me :cry:

Called one place today and they left me a message back saying the earliest they can come is Thurs or Fri....Gotta call some other places in the morning.

Well, at least Lowe's still had fans in stock....

Oh....and it seems likely that it's the compressor, so this is probably gonna be expensive...

I'm melting! I'm melting!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
My local conditions -

Albertville Municipal Airport
Lat: 34.23 Lon: -86.26 Elev: 0
Last Update on Jun 8, 9:40 pm CDT

Fair
79°F
(26°C)

Humidity: 79 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.05"
Dewpoint: 72°F (22°C)
Heat Index: 82°F (28°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.
I'm thankful for the a/c. It got up to 97°F today, and it's only the first week of June 8O

Get yourself a nice, cold drink, with lots of ice, Jeanie! :wink:
And a big margarita for you, Lisa! :p

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice idea John, but think I've had enough Margaritas, it was a party weekend.:lol:

The fan I bought is doing a nice job and I'm very comfortable sitting here on the couch. I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom, but I think I'll bring the new fan up too.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Oh wow that's hot.

If it makes you feel better we don't have AC, last week we had to sleep in our living room floor, it is very uncomfortable to sleep on the floor, it usually gets somewhat cool in our bedroom around 3:00 am but it is very inconvenient to go upstairs to sleep for just a few hours.
We need AC or a swamp cooler ASAP!!
:cry:

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
We're supposed to be getting another heat wave at the end of this coming week. ugh No a/c here, either.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We´ve got about 87°F in Berlin - City... When I want to sleep at night, Horst want to sleep, too: on my chest, my head,... So I can not catch a cold. :lol:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
It's mid 20's here (C that is), which is lovely.

I can bear it no longer when it goes above 35. Doesn't happen often here, highest ever recorded in the UK is 38.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Keep hydrated! I spent Sun am (about 1 am-6am) in the ER with someone who went to the Red Sox game and didn't drink enough water. Got seriously dehydrated, had the dry-heaves for about an hour before we took him to the ER. More fun than you can shake a stick at!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
It was beastly down here too, Lisa. I can't even imagine trying to get through this heat without air conditioning.

A thought (although you're probably way ahead of me) . . . do you have a contract for service on your heat and A/C? If you do, in addition to doing regular maintenance on your furnace and A/C, they also put you at the top of the list whenever you call with an emergency need for service like this. I thought that alone made it worth it.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's Fixed!

My neighbor recommended that I call the guy who did her furnace this past winter. I called this morning around 7:10, the guy said it would be today but he didn't know when...they would call before coming. About 20 minutes later the phone rang and he was on the way. It was fixed by 8:05.

It was another capacitor, this is the 3rd time. It's indicative of the compressor dying. But my choice was $1000 for a compressor....$68 for a capacitor. Hopefully I'll make it through the summer and maybe I can plan to replace the unit next summer. I'd really like to have it moved, it's right next to Margaritaville (my screened porch) and it's noisy. So that's way more complex and something that takes some planning.

·
Registered
539 Posts
yuck!! i had my ac die when i first moved back to gwinnett county and it was so hot and sticky for a few days...as for the heat wave, its really bad. 97 is the high for L'ville, ga for june 9th...that's insane. and of course we haven't had any good rain in the past month so Lake Lanier is not filling up, its already decreasing. But the idiots with the water companies and local government have decided its ok for us to water between the hours of 12am and 10am 8O :roll: Its gonna take substantial rains before Lake Lanier is going to be back at its fullest. I just hope it cools off and rains some....ya'll be careful and drink lots of water!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yay! For fixed AC!
Someone actually stole our central air unit last year, lol. We have a AC guy coming out today to give an estimate, which will be around $3000. Eek. But oh well, we'll have AC! Of course the cats all have to lay in the hottest room in the house, and make sure they're in a spot of sun. Such weird animals... :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
we had a heat wave near the end of summer this year where it didnt drop below 30 for about 8 days and got up to the 40's 4 times... thats in victoria, its unusual to maintain heat like that...

When I visit family in south australia they get the winds off the desert, it can be minimum of 30-34 for two weeks straight...

no aircon and my car aircon died... :(

i think we got up to about 43 this year... pritty good for vic... :D

right now its freakin freezing (not really but for us its cold)

I had a bloke from utah tell me that the cold where he is from is different, over there, it snows and is cold, but over here it is more humid and the air is cold and the wind is cold so it actually feels colder than when it snows...

atleast we have heating!!! lol

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's currently 33°C but it feels like 40. We also have another severe thunderstorm watch for the area. We had tornado warnings in some parts last night aswell. It's been like this since friday or so and finally my father came out yesterday and put in the AC in the bedrom and living room. We and the animals are very happy about that. :D

My car has never had AC, it was broken when I got it and I refuse to dish out the money to have it fixed when I'll be getting a newer car next year.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
We're supposed to be in the 90's and low 100's by Thursday and into the weekend. I'll be lying on the tile kitchen floor with the cats if anyone needs me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts