Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Nichole and about two weeks ago I noticed that my 4-year-old male cat started to have a hoarse and squeaky meow and he didn't seem to want to finish his meals (dry kibble with a little water mixed in). The squeakiness is still going on and he still isn't eating his full servings of food and now he seems to be showing signs of heavy breathing. I've also noticed him coughing a few times a day. I've measured his breathing a few times and it looks like he is doing around 50 to 52 breaths per minute. He does not seem to be hurting and he is still showing affection, however, the breathing has me a little worried. At this time he is not panting or opening his mouth to breath. He also still follows me around the kitchen and shows signs that he wants to be fed, he just doesn't finish the amount of food I give him. I plan to call his regular vet tomorrow when they open, but I wasn't sure if anyone would read this and maybe have an idea what could be going on or if I am overreacting. I have videos of him breathing but because this is my first post, I cannot attach the links.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Definitely not normal breathing, hope it isn't a heart condition. Give us an update on what the vet says.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw the video - not good. He may have HCM. Have your vet run blood work and be sure to include BNP reading (it will cost extra but well worth it) It will show if he has this heart defect. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts