Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Wanted to start of by saying awesome forum! been reading it for a few weeks since I got my 2 kittens!

I recently moved to Illinois from Sweden a couple months ago, decided to get a kitty, adopted from humane society, her name is zazou. Shes a medium haired grey/white/black tabby? not sure how to express her colors since they are all one pretty much. Shes around 4 months at the moment, been battling some diarrhea issues with her but shes doing better after some vet trips. (although not fully) Forgot to mention I've had her for about 4-5 weeks now.
A little about her personality:
Shes quite loving when she needs to be, especially when she wants food etc, only time she is really cuddly affectionate is when she's hungry, she'll jump up on my stomach and purr rubbing her face against mine, then she'll lay down. after a few minutes when she realizes she isn't getting food she disappears to the couch across from me :p
It's kind of a pity because when I was free feeding with her she would randomly come lay at my legs, come up to my stomach and pur, lay down, fall asleep.

Anyways!

She has an abnormal amount of energy! I play with her 1 hour plus a day, So 3 weeks ago I decided to get another kitty, a male, I was told this wouldn't be a problem. He is 1 month younger, haven't figured out a name for him yet! we'll call him valentino (name from shelter, I hate it)

He's EXTREMELY affectionate, sadly he decided to develop a URI as soon as he came home with me, so he has been quarantined in a separate room, he's finally getting better, no sneezing etc. When I enter the room he starts purring up a storm directly, and won't stop meowing till I start petting him. He always wants to be on me, He's adorable!. I cannot bare him being in that room for another 3 weeks so for the last couple of days I've been introducing them to each other for short periods of time(keep in mind they have been clawing and grunting at each other under the door the entire time).

Valentino wants to play it seems but zazou is just a complete bully! she does her sneaky sneaky thing and runs up and bites then jumps back (this repeats) this entire time Valentino is down, ears back, sometimes on his back (belly up) or he runs away, then she chases and bites. I try to intervene as soon as Valentino makes a cry for help which is does 70% of the time. Usually he will come straight to me and hide by me, zazou still attacks but is more cautious. she's always staring him down, and vice versa of course. I'll play with a string toy with both of them near by to get their minds of each other, and zazou will not come near valentino when hes playing with the toy.
Aloong with that is I have to be EXTREMLY watch full of them because zazou will NOT leave him alone, I've caught her doing that back leg claw thing to his FACE! which is ridiculous, I got really nervous, she cut him right above his eye..also zazou is a lot bigger than valentino, more then i would think for only 1 month difference?

Anyhow, any other questions would be nice! happy to answer any!

Love both my kitties, they are very fun! (when not together) ;)

Will try to get some pictures up soon!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi there. Your kitties sound adorable!

Have you tried clipping zazou's claws? It's good to handle their paws and ears when they're little to get them used to it. If she'll let you trim the sharp edges off the claws it will make playtime with Valentino a little less harrowing for you and for him.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Moffat did the same thing to my eustache and they have 6 weeks apart. The first week was her being a bully. It gets much better. Try to keep them apart when you are not around. Now my kittens cuddle and groom each other

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there. Your kitties sound adorable!

Have you tried clipping zazou's claws? It's good to handle their paws and ears when they're little to get them used to it. If she'll let you trim the sharp edges off the claws it will make playtime with Valentino a little less harrowing for you and for him.
No not yet, I don't see how I'll manage to click her nails, she hates being handled. Her ear got infected from having ear mites these last few days, crusty yellow gunk stuck to skin, black/brown wax, red ears, would scream when getting ears touched. I had a horrible time cleaning them out with mineral oil, she made a mess so I had to give her a bath, then apply the meds. She's been mad at me for 2 hours now :(

Moffat did the same thing to my eustache and they have 6 weeks apart. The first week was her being a bully. It gets much better. Try to keep them apart when you are not around. Now my kittens cuddle and groom each other
Ah well that's good to hear!
Did your bully also do the rabbit kick etc?
Valentino is just so aggressive, wish he would grow a pair!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts