Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first some good news. Since increasing play sessions throughout the day, the heckling of Chinchilla has drastically decreased. He still does it, but it's way less than it was. He's now 1 yr old as of the 29th of last month and is HUGE now.

Now, onto the new thing. He's been jumping on my fiance's drawing table. This is a big NONO, as my fiance needs to be able to use the drawing table without his work being damaged by little pawprints. Unfortunately, Peanut did ruin a project already. :-( We tried putting some double-ended tape on the edge of the table, where Peanut's paws usually go. It did nothing to deter him whatsoever.

So is there anything else we can try? Mind you, this is something that is utilized, so we can't put anything on it like bitter rubbings or anything. Would it be better to train him not to go up there?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Your fiancee can't put his projects away when he's not working on them (like in a portfolio or something)? To be honest, having half finished projects laying around would bug me a lot more than the cat on a surface. :p

How about a thin piece of plywood the size of the table. Then he can just lay the plywood ontop of the drawings when he walks away and kitty won't walk on them?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mow mows idea is a really good one and I'd like to expand on that thought. Maybe you can get a light weight piece of plastic sheeting cut to the size of the table at a hardware store and then screw hinges on the end of the table. When your fiancée done with his work for the day then he can flap the sheeting back over his work. And then flip it when he needs to start work again.
I've never been able to keep my cats off anything. In fact if they know I don't want them there then they try that much harder to be exactly where I don't want them. So I gave up.
My mother swears she's trained her cat to stay off her counters and table but she she told me she knows her cat is up in those places when she leVes the house because things are shuffled around when she gets back.
Best to just work with the problem then try to force him to stop. They are just too clever for all of us.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I third finding some way to cover the table. Leaving unfinished projects out is a recipe for disaster. Even if you leave out the naughty kitty paws accidents happen. One spilled drink, or slopped bit of food...not a good idea.

If he's worried about having anything touch the surface see if you know someone crafty who could make a sort of box-lid. I'm picturing a lid with a rim about 1-2 inches so that it would be above any artwork and not damage it or contact it at all. That IMO would be a perfect solution since you could then use the drawing table as an actual table when it isn't in use without any risk of damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts