Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am new to this, so hopefully I'll keep the newbie mistakes to a minimum.

My wife and I have recently acquired some kittens form our barn (I am going to avoid the how, as the story is sad). The two girls are beautiful, and they are adjusting well to our cat dense house.

The kittens have had two trips to the vet. We saw a different vet each time (both were great). (Small problem for me) One vet referred to a kitten by its coat color one way and the other referred to it a different way. So, I went out on the internet to see which was right? Now I am even more confused, and I think they both are right. What is the best forum for me to upload some pictures in so I can find out if this 3-month-old kitten is a medium or long hair? Calico, tortoiseshell, or tortoiseshell and white? Diffused and diluted? About the only thing I am sure of is she is a mighty cute split faced kitten, ...help?

Best to you all!
-Jeff/Cyterreo

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
Welcome!

You can post pictures in the Meet My Kitty section. I love the little split face calicos. My twins are longhaired dilute calicos because the colors are soft. Calico is their color, but lots of people use the word as a breed. If you click on my signature, you'll see Charlee Marie and Cali (Rainbow Bridge).

Calico cats are some of the most beautiful cats in the world. Calico does not refer to a specific breed of cat, but instead to a color pattern. Calicos are between 25-75% white with a mix of orange and black. These colors may be lighter or darker on some cats than others, but all three — white, black, and orange — must be present for the cat to be considered a Calico.

Calico patterns are a happy accident of genetics; breeders cannot specifically aim for a litter of Calicos. Some of the breeds with standards that allow for calico coloration include American Shorthair, Turkish Van, MaineCoon, and Japanese Bobtail.

So I'm guessing one vet said "calico" and the other said either moggy or domestic short hair?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marie73,
Thank-you,
I posted a few pictures, most were from an earlier date, as a certain girl named, "Truffles" (Troubles) did not want her picture taken. I also caught an error of mine. I listed above that she/they are 3 months old and with the pic I said 4 months old. We've had them about 3 1/2 months, and I think they may have been about 4/5 weeks when we caught them. So, if I am confusing people I apologize. The exact ages are unknown to us.
Calico and tortoiseshell were the terms I heard. I had never heard the term, "moggy." (Interesting how it was originally used to reference the mouse.)
Your cats are stunning. I always liked the look of the calico cat, but being a "dog" person, I did not know there was such a thing as a long-haired version of a calico, or the color variations. In my old world, cats came in white, black, orange, and sometimes gray (maybe an old black cat?). It was a lot simpler then, but not nearly as interesting.
My wife tells me I am a cat person now, I just haven't realized it yet. She's probably right, she generally is...

Best to you and yours!
-Jeff/Cyterreo.

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
Oh. You're a cat person now. :)

Many people don't know the exact ages of their cats. I had never heard the expression Moggy until I saw it posted by members in the UK. Moggy for cats is the same as Heinz 57 for dogs. I have to go now, must spend time looking at your adorable kitties some more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts