Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a 2 year old female cat from a kill shelter, she has been declawed both front and back before I got her, I have never had a declawed cat before, as I was under the idea that it was a very painful and inhumane process. Not to mention her back feet were done also?

The question I have, I guess, is, is she in any pain? She's probably the sweetest cat I have ever seen, she loves human interaction, falls asleep on me and generally can't stay away from me for more than 20 minutes - is a massive purring machine. However i notice she contiously licks the bottom of her paws, and I'm wondering if this is having any effect on her and if she's in any pain..

thank you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi and welcome to Cat Forum!

I was adopeted by a rescue kitty, too. Like yours, she was four paw de-clawed when I got her. I really never notice anything unusual, other than the occasional grunt when she jumpes from higher places. I don't know if it is the shock of the sudden weight on her feet or not.

Have you taken her to see the vet? Maybe a thorough examination will discover something.

Keep us informed as to what you learn. Do you have any pictures of your baby you can share with us? She sounds like a sweetheart.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You're right, it's an inhumane procedure and it causes lots of problems. Four-paw declaws are are particularly cruel, and commonly result in litterbox problems--one reason why they end up in shelters or abandoned. For more info on the adverse effects of declawing, see http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=002 .

I personally believe that *all* declawed cats are in pain. Declawing damages nerves, changes the cat's balance and gait, causes arthritis, and prevents the proper stretching that claws provide an anchor for. Phantom pain is a huge issue that is not addressed at all by veterinarians.

Cats are very stoic and do not show signs of pain unless it's pretty severe. They learn to live with chronic pain and just deal with it. It's an evolutionary safeguard--cats may be predators, but they are also prey. A cat who goes around limping or acting sick or depressed would, in the natural world, pretty quickly become lunch for a larger predator such as a fox or owl.

There is a local healer here in Boulder who is having good results working with the cat energetically to heal the body (www.akinshipwithanimals.com). We offer a flower essence formula to help these cats at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... tegory=fec .

It's a difficult problem because the surgery is so radical and irreversible, but we're trying!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats were declawed in the front only when I got them and they are normal as can be. They are always cleaning so I don't think thats something unusual and they run around, play as normal. They act like they still have claws even tho they don't. If you're unsure make sure take your cat to the vet. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the picture of her, http://www.rescuetheanimals.org/animals ... malID=8543

Originally, I was looking for a male, a white/black male actually, and they had one. But once I went in there, she stuck her paw out of her cage and literally waved to me and was talking up a storm, and kept waving like she was telling me to "come over there".

I couldn't resist, and once I got up close to her, i knew she was the one :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of my cats (Pepper) is declawed but only her front paws. I got her from my Mother who declawed several cats almost all at the same time. I have to say, it was horrible. They bled for so long and it was so sad! Needless to say, my Mom was very sorry and she has never declawed again.

It is a brutal procedure. I think if it is completely necessary to do something about claws, they should just be trimmed. People want a cat, they need to accept claws and all.

Anyway, Pepper, and the others my Mom had done, healed very, very well and have no problems at all. Your cat should be fine but if she is indeed acting like something is hurting, you may want to see a Vet. After proper healing time, a cat should pretty much have no problems.

Best of luck to you and your baby! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately they took it down shortly after I pasted it, I was lucky enough to save the picture but I have no where to host it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts