Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have always been cat lover my whole life, not sure why but i am. People find it strange as i am a Male but hey i love all animals but cats are at the top!

Anyway i registered because this looks like a great place to be apart of and also because i am in the process of purchasing a new Kitty after my last cat passed a few years ago.

I am close to picking up a new Burmese Kitten. I think he is either the runt of the litter or it is just a small litter, the sister is just a bit bigger then him. He is around 12 weeks and weighs just about 1kg.

Anyway i was going to pick him up when i received a call the night before from the breeder advising that the vet found some minor discharge from the eye and he is on Antibiotics. He hasn't had his second shot because of this. His sibling has the same issue.
I went and visited and he still looks fully healthy, coat is nice and clean, no nose and eye discharge that i could see and no sneezing while i was there. I think he most likely has FHV1 or one of the others that causes Cat Flu, now i dont know if i should still take him.

I have lots of toys for him as i work full time and he will be home alone for most of Monday to Friday (mum is close to retirement so is at work 4 days a week but not as long some days), so i dont know if the symptoms will flare up.
Does anyone have a cat with Cat Flu? Should i still take him?

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Minor discharge and antibiotics aren't much of an issue as long as the cat looks healthy, is bright eyed and isn't dripping in mucus.

But getting a cat from a breeder at all has always seemed odd to me. Cat breeds don't serve a specific purpose like dogs have been bred to do, so I feel like most cat breeds are pretty similar in everything except looks. I have always worked with animal rescue organizations and I highly recommend adopting from a shelter instead. You very well might save their life. And I suggest getting a pair of kittens, because it's really cute watching them play with one another. If you're worried about them not "loving" you as much, my cats can not WAIT for me to get home every day and crawl into my lap at their first opportunity. I adopted them from a shelter when they were 8 weeks old, and two years later, they still are always happy to see me. They even like to play fetch. My black and white one is sitting next to me pawing at my leg waiting for me to throw his toy again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts