Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm currently on holiday on a rather remote Thai island. There's a Mumma cat at the resort I'm staying at who has had four kittens. Three are in pretty good shape, but the fourth isn't faring well so well.

There's a few Lost in Translation issues with the cat's human family, but I was told they were three weeks old. I suspect they might be a bit older as the more robust ones are scrapping vigorously and attacking their Mum. Occasionally, they turn their attention on the runt and it's an awful business - he/she is too small and too weak to fight them off and just meows in the most pitiable way. I've intervened when I can, but it's obviously not a long-term solution.

I tried taking the runt to the Mum to feed, but the Mum kicked the baby away. I can't see it lasting much longer unless I can somehow build up its strength.

Now this is where it gets difficult. This is a very remote island and there is no chance of getting any kitten milk replacement stuff. I could get cow's milk (though all the stuff I've read online warns against this), and maybe rice and rice milk. Also fish of all stripes.

I am here for another week and wonder if there's anything I can do to try and save this catlet. Even if I could just get it a little stronger, it will give it a fighting chance.

Thanking you all in advance.

Peter

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
About the only thing I can think of is to mix canned cat food with water to make a watery soup-type mixture. Since the Mamma cat seems to live at the resort, I'm presuming the resort has some cat food. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Other types of milk could be harmful to the little kitten since cats cannot properly digest them. As harsh as it sounds many times mama's have a reason for rejecting certain kittens from the litter. There may be something going on inside of this little kitten, perhaps a defect, and the kindest thing mama can do is push him away :( I wish there was something more I could offer you for help. Your resources sound very limited at the moment. Try to see if you can get the little guy to do what Susan suggested. I know you mentioned that it is a remote island, I know it is a long shot but do they by chance have any sort of veterinarian clinic that could help.

I'm sorry, this is a difficult and heart breaking sort of situation :patback

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Susan, Nicola and Konstargirl.

Thanks heaps for getting back to me.

No cat food here - they seem to live in geckos, fish and scraps. But I will try to make mushy rice/fish/water/rice milk concoction and see where it goes. The resort staff are taking an interest, too, so perhaps all is not lost.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for your support and thoughts.

Best,
Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The little fella's hanging on. In fact, he seems quite a bit stronger than he was a few days ago.

I fed him a little bit of yoghurt, some mashed up rice and fish. The locals said they were three weeks old, but it's clear from the vigour of the others that they're at least twice that. They're all on solid food now, so hopefully the little fellow can get his strength up sufficiently to battle on.

Not sure what the etiquette is on here, but I can post/send some photos if you're keen.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
We'd love to see pictures, so feel free to post. I hope the little guy keeps getting stronger. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts