Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So glad to have found this resource! Having a bit of a problem with my raw fed cats and wanted some advice, and it seems like here is the place to come :D

As a bit of background, I took on two cats from a friend of mine at the end of January. They are both neutered male Orientals, and they'll be three in May. When I got them they seemed healthy but their breath stank like you would not believe - I've never encountered anything like it. Their coats smelled from where they cleaned themselves, and your hands would smell after touching them. I took them to the vet, who said teeth and gums was all fine, it was coming from their stomachs - change of diet required.

Lots of investigating on the net later, decided to switch to a raw diet. They were previously on a mix of two different dried foods (Hills Science Diets something or other, for neutered cats and for sensitive stomachs), as well as pouches of Sheba (for those not in the UK, it's a food that markets itself as luxury and gourmet but is the usual utter garbage) in gravy. Tigger (my runt - teeny tiny little cat) would only eat Sheba in gravy and nothing else, no other brand, nothing in Jelly. Smokey (big cat) eats anything. Smokey also vomited his entire stomach contents frequently, every couple of days I'd wake up/come home to little piles of vomit.

The switch to raw went really well. I don't make it myself but order from a woman in Wales who has lovely quality food, 75% muscle meat, 15% organ meat and 10% bone. It's delivered frozen, in packs, and defrosted and fed to them. Each pack lasts two days so it's not hanging around in the fridge for long. They picked it up really quickly and adore rabbit and venison, like beef and lamb and absolutely refuse to have anything to do with poultry of any kind.

Three weeks in, no sicks anywhere at all for two weeks. I'm thrilled, they're happy and shiny and healthy. All going swimmingly!

Then, I feed rabbit again for the first time in two weeks (it's wild caught and hadn't been available for a while). Tigger, my little cat, begins vomiting without fail 10 hours after eating, little piles of bone. He's obviously digesting his food, because only bone and a bit of juice (excuse graphic description!) comes up. He also did this twice with venison, which he never had before (they were fed lamb, beef and venison during the two week vomit free period). Is this normal? I'm worried that the frequent vomiting really can't be good for him, and I could do without it myself. Do other people feeding a raw diet have this experience?

I worry that because he's small he's not able to chew the bone properly. Smokey you can hear really crunching the bone bits up (he loves it) but Tigger doesn't make so much noise eating so perhaps he's swallowing bigger pieces and that's the issue?

Besides that, Smokey has also done his traditional entire contents of stomach vomit twice in the last week, once with heart and once with lamb, about half an hour after eating (which is what he did on the raw). I don't know if this is an issue, or if he's just a vomity cat?

I'm careful to keep everything very clean - their bowls are thoroughly washed and rinsed in boiling water every time they eat, and I keep the raw food in the fridge in an airtight plastic container, which is also thoroughly washed and rinsed in boiling water between packs (every two days).

I'm more than happy to take them to the vet, but just thought I'd ask some advice first as I suspect the vet may just try and sell me expensive dried food...

Sorry the post is so long - has anyone else had these kind of troubles?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sometimes our cats would wolf down a meal they especially loved (beef heart) and then vomit it back up later. Or if the eldest had a furball in the makes, he would vomit the food for a day until he could bring up the furball. ALSO, sometimes cats vomit up food that's too cold... was it straight from the fridge?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Muzby.

Yeah, Smokey is a bit of a guts and does eat fast. This wasn't straight from the fridge, as it had been out defrosting, but usually I mix a tiny bit of boiling water into it if it's come out of the fridge in order to take the chill off.

Maybe he just ate the lamb and the heart too fast as there is less bone/the pieces are smaller so he doesn't have to slow down and chew so much. No idea how to encourage him to eat more slowly, unless I just give him a spoon at a time or something.

I'm less worried about Smokey and more about Tigger and the bone sicks. I worry that vomiting that often has got to be bad for him (bulimia is dangerous in humans because of the way vomiting so often ruins electrolyte balance etc - is that the same for cats?) and also that the bone could do damage to his throat on the way back up. Maybe I should just stay away from rabbit, which is what brought this whole thing on.

Incidentally, I've not had a hairball from them - perhaps because their fur is very short and fine? I do brush them, too, mostly just because they really like it.

P.S. - I like your collection of black witchy cats. Have a soft spot for black cats myself, my family has had three now.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Some cats (such as mine) are beef sensitive. If you experiment with a few beef items (liver, heart, whatever) and find that they're usually barfing it up, then just skip the beef. It's not like cats eat beef in the wild, anyway. ;-)

Don't know about lamb, haven't tried it. Pork chops and chicken are my cat's staples. However, I've also read some cats are chicken sensitive, so you might want to be careful.

My favorite thing to feed her is chicken hearts. Every dinner I give her wet cat food, but I also cut up about 4 chicken hearts (into 4-5 pieces each) and put them in with her cat food. She always eats the hearts before she eats the cat food! (sort-of like eating the meatballs before you eat the spaghetti, I suppose). They're also very cheap, and are very nutitious. If you have a cat having problems with raw food, I would think chicken hearts would be the easiest way to go. Maybe chicken gizzards, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kitty-The-Cat.

I think the beef issue was just the big greedy beast cat eating too fast. It was the rabbit issue I was worried about, but I've just cut it out and no more bone vomit, which is a relief! So, no more rabbit which is a shame as he loves it, but there we go.

I can't feed poultry of any kind to them - they completely refuse to eat it. They took to everything else almost immediately but chicken, turkey and duck? One sniff and they refuse to have anything more to do with it, even if it's a teaspoon mixed into something they really like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts