Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Jennifer, a busy mother of 6 with a severe cat allergy. Why am I here on a cat forum, you ask? Well, since developing the allergy, I still like cats. And when I opened the door of our shed one day to discover 3 kittens born to a stray in there, our family helped them get a good start in life. (Both no-kill shelters were full.)

Anyway, I have questions about the mother cat, now that the kittens are gone. She has an appointment to be spayed next week, but I strongly suspect she is pregnant. Current plans are to go ahead with the spay UNLESS she has new kittens first OR they tell us she is almost ready to have the kittens when we take her in.

The problem we have is the severe cat allergy, and the fact that cats get pregnant again so soon. IF she has a second litter, we plan to move her inside (she's VERY, very friendly) with the kittens so she will have no contact with other male cats until it is safe to spay her again.

Any problems in the plan that any of you see that I don't? The move inside is a last resort, because the allergies cause asthmatic bronchitis... it took 9 months to fully get better from last time! UG! We would keep her to one room, and I'd go on allergy meds. Like I said, the shelters are full... and we don't want to take her there anyway because we have a home lined up for her. :)

Her kittens were about 11 weeks old. (We found them at about 3 weeks) So there has been plenty of time for her to become pregnant again, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Jennifer

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi there,

first i want to say, good for you! for dedicating a lot of time, energy and thought into this cat and her kittens, i've always been an animal lover and have great respect for others who share the same love!

second, i'm a little confused at to what your question is, or if there is a specific question, so if you could clarify maybe it will be easier for forum members to help out

i think your plan is great, i definately think its great that you plan to spay the stray and if she does indeed have more kittens i agree that they should be inside,
i'm sorry to hear about your allergies, it does show though that you have great commitment to helping these little guys so thats really awesome.
i think that confining them to one room because of your allergies is a lot better than them being outside wandering the streets so i think that under your circumstances it should be okay.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
In regards to the allergy, cat allergies can actually improve over time with exposure (I used to be fairly allergic but any time I've spent an extended period of time living with a cat, the allergies settle down after a few weeks/month), but there's no guarantee of that unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same type of allergies. I have landed in the hospital when around other people's cats. We adopted our kittens 3 years ago and at first, I suffered from asthma attacks and allergies symptoms(even on meds) but i was able to stick it out. At first we kept them out of our bedroom(which didn't last very long since they are our babies) but that helped. I also use allerpet on my cats. I think it helps. If you are exposed to the cat/kittens in small doses, over time you should build up immunity to them. Good luck, I'm so happy to hear there are good people that are willing to help cats even when they might suffer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts