Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Wisconsin!
I have two elderly cats (one male and one female)in good health, ages 17 and 19, a little arthritic but happy and content. My brother is in the hospital and not doing well. I have been going to his house daily to feed his 11 year old boy cat. I would like to take him in but 6 years ago when I brought him home because my brother was back in the hospital, my boy male softly hissed @ him and he literally knocked him off our kitty condo. Before I introduced the cats, I separated Sarge (brothers boy) and slowly let them get to know each other. I am worried that if I bring him home it will be too stressful for my elderly felines. Any suggestions? Love my cats, love Sarge too---he is a good boy but was never socialized with other animals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My best advice is, if you're talking about taking him in temporarily, don't do it if you can avoid it. It isn't worth the hassle, trouble, and stress to your cats (and the stress they will put you through) if it's temporary.

If your brother's situation worsens (I wish you the best!!) and for any reason you have to take the cat permanently, then that's a different story. Then your cats will eventually have to get used to him. I'm no expert so you'll want other people's advice at that point. But for now, if you don't need to care for him permanently, and can continue feeding him at his own home, I'd say leave him there until/unless that's no longer an option.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
that sounds like a good idea not bringing sarge home unless you have to.
and yes, good luck to your brother, too. hope he improves and is able to come home soon. in the meantime, i hope you are able to spend enough time with Sarge so he's not so lonely without your brother at home with him.

actually this is a good opportunity for you to get Sarge's scent all over you and then when you get home, your own boy at home can smell him to his heart's content. hopefully he'll just get more and more used to it and then eventually if you HAVE to bring Sarge home with you, then your boy will be like, "oh, it's just you. i've been smelling you everyday on my human for weeks now. no big deal. just stay outta my way and we'll get along just fine, see?"

we've actually been hoping this exact thing will happen with our Angel at home. we visit some cats every weekend that we eventually want to adopt. angel smells them on us when we get home and she gets familiar with them that way, we think. we've been very encouraged so far because she DOES sniff us and our clothes and shoes like crazy when we get home and she hasn't acted aggressively at all. she's just been very curious. and i think that's a really good sign since the shelter said she did NOT like other cats. i tend to think it was just the shelter environment. at least that's what i'm hoping.

good luck!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I agree with the posters above. You should leave Sarge in his own house for now, and hopefully your brother will soon be home. Given their ages and the fact that Sarge has been on his own (it seems) for about 11 years, you would likely face a very difficult introduction of these three cats. So, I wouldn't cross that bridge unless necessary...and hopefully it won't be necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I so do appreciate all of your responses. I do let my two sweet peas cats smell Sarge on me but they don't seem real interested. I spend about 30-45" daily w/Sarge and giving him lots of attention. My brother may be in the hospital for a month or longer, feeling as bad for Sarge as my brother. I guess I'll just continue going over there daily. Thank you so much everybody!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts