Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Lori. I have been a dog person all my life, but just decided to adopt a kitten a few months ago. This is my first kitten/ever. It's been fun getting to know a kitten versus a dog. Quite different than a dog I've learned! I look forward to chatting with some of you and learning even more about my little Elliott. He is a tuxedo cat with huge green eyes and he is such a sweetheart most of the time, when he's not being a kitten lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Aww, he sounds adorable! Young kittens are the cutest :). I just took in two strays yesterday. They look fully grown but still act like kittens, it's so cute!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Kittens can be a huge hassle, but arent they the cutest when they curl up after their craziness and just sleep on your lap, makes all the scratches and sillyness worth it. :)
I have a 2 month kitten now. He drives my 7 year old cat crazy sometimes but he is so cute we let him get away with anything. I had to separate them cause kitten had round worms, apparently it's very common. Kittens stay kittens for such a short time enjoy it while u can!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of cats. I've been a cat person all my life, although I love all animals, really. But there's just nothing like a kitten. One of my favorite things is when they hop at you sideways and then freak out. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like a kitten alright! Kitten claws are so tiny that they're super sharp, as you've obviously noticed. :lol: And they'll climb anything they can, too. They're so cute though that it's impossible to really get mad.

Out of curiosity, is she scratching at your furniture as if to sharpen her claws, or just getting caught in the fabric when she's playing/climbing/running?

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can also different types of scratchers, if you find she's more attracted to your sofa than the planks. You can try sisal, carpet, cardboard, etc. All cats are different and some will prefer one material over another.

If you want a DIY project, you always try wrapping the planks you already have. Maybe try a different texture for each and see which she prefers. You can buy sisal rope and carpet pretty reasonably. The cardboard scratchers can be bought at any pet store or Target type store, and usually start out for just a few dollars.

If you find something she really likes, she'll prefer it to your sofa. Also, if you do catch her clawing something you don't want her to claw, pick her up and move her to her planks (or whatever you have that she CAN scratch) and put her paws on that. She should quickly get the idea that her scratchers are ok but your furniture is off limits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts