Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two cats, Teddy is 6f and Gomez is 2m.

Both Cats are indoor cats. they have never been allowed out of the home.

My wife and i have discovered we are expecting our first baby, and he/she will be born in July of this year.

We have started to make gradual changes to our home, so the cats can get used to certian areas that are going to become out of bounds.

This is mainly One room in the house (nursery/babys room) We are contemplating allowing the cats to go outdoors, i have carried Gomez out into our garden and he seems totally lost. He seems to stand still for a long period of time and then squats very low and runs into the house with a very bushy tail...

Teddy the older cat seems more okay with going outside, but when we bring her in she pines and cries to be allowed back out again for about 30 minutes, then she calms down.

We want to be able to enjoy our new baby and to sit out in the garden during the summer without having to worry about the cats being locked in or, worrying about shutting the doors so they dont get out.

Should we leave them as they are (indoor cats) or should we allow them out, and risk it, we haev pet insurance but the cats do not know how to live outdoors....

Please can anyone give any advice on whats best for our cats?

Problem #2

Our cats seem to be in love, one minute then, they cant stand the site of each other, bushy tails and very deep growling...they fight run around the house for 30mins trying to kill each other and this lasts for about 3 days...

WHY???? can anyone shed any light on this?

both cats have been neutered...(Soory forgot to mention that)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't force the cats to become outdoor cats. It is much safer for them to remain inside, and their risk of catching diseases is much lower. Of course you can leave the door open and let them out when you're around, but be prepared to have it become an issue if the cats learn to like the outdoors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, personally I wouldn't leave the cats unsupervised outside. I think that once they start going outside than they will ALWAYS want to get out. So this means you will have to wory about them meowing and trying to run right out the door every chance they get.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I would suggest just keeping them indoors. Its what they're used to and less chance of them running off or getting fleas or diseases and driving you crazy when they keep wanting to go out. As for the playing around, I think your cats just like to play rough. As long as they get back to normal within a few days it seems like just rough play. :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep them inside. There are far too many risks involved with allowing cats to go outdoors...and since they've been indoor pets for the majority of their lives, that's definitely where they belong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts