Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

I'm Ellen. I live in northern IL with a small menagerie: fish, turtles, 3 dogs and 2 cats.

Milton was my first kitty. He's probably 5 or 6 now. I originally found him in a hoarding house (200+ cats, 100+ dogs) when I worked for an area humane society. A year later, he'd been deemed unadoptable due to his health problems, so I took him home to spare him the needle. While he has some defects, they don't really affect him on a daily basis- he's got cerebellar hypoplasia, vestibular syndrome, and aural polyps, plus he's deaf. It means he's a little wobbly, a little twitchy, and has some ear discharge- all minor things, in my book. He's a joy to have in the house and in my life. We've been grappling with FLUTD with him for the last year and a half or so and it recently culminated in a complete urinary blockage. He seems to be bouncing back well, but it's been a stressful time for us.

Beckley is the most recent addition. We're guessing he's coming up on two now. I found him last October at a rest stop in West Virginia while on a road trip with my best friend and two of my dogs. I'd stopped to use the facilities and came out only to spot a dirty skinny kitty on a bench. There were 6 lanes of traffic on one side and a huge parking lot on the other, completely surrounded by relative wilderness. It was mid-fall, but winter was on it's way- if he wasn't hit by a vehicle or eaten by a coyote, he'd likely freeze or starve... so we lured him closer, snatched him up, and drove 500 miles back home with a strange cat and 2 dogs in the car. I had no intentions of keeping him- in fact, I admitted him to the rescue I foster for and got him all vaccinated and neutered and ready to go to a new home before I realized I was madly in love. We got lucky- he's a phenomenal little kitty with a larger than life personality and he fits into the household so well.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi Ellen and welcome. Milton and Buckley are lovely! I'm pleased to hear Milton is bouncing back...it sounds like he's been through a lot in only a few years. We have a few members here with CH cats. And Buckley was lucky you stumbled across him at the rest stop. It does sound like you have quite the little menagerie. I have two cats and some fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts