Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm Rob from MD. I have 2 cats. My senior/resident cat is a 14, maybe 15 yr. old 20 lb. tuxedo Manx named Junior who I've had for almost 13 years.
My second is a domestic gray/blue w/faint stripes named Grayson who I adopted after he and his sister were abandoned in my neighborhood last October. I did find a great home for his sister and while trying to find one for him became attached, now he's part of the family.

I'm here to find out from the forum, on ways of how to deal with an issue I'm having with my 2 boys, which is a peaceful coexistence :boxing

I also hope my 2c of input will help someone as well.

Thanx,
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at the end of my rope...please help me!

Sorry this is long but I want you to know as much as possible with what I'm dealing with....

My first cat is a 20lb Tuxedo Manx named of all things Junior, whom has been with me for almost 13 years. He's at least 15 or 16 yrs. old, very territorial, very vocal, very temperamental and a biter for he's been declawed, not by me but by his previous owner when he was young. Junior's not your typical house cat who rubs on your leg; he only comes to you on his terms, and that’s rarely; when he wants your attention; he acts more like a dog than a cat. When he see’s my second cat or he’s mad he growls, snorts, and makes sounds I never heard come from a cat.

My second and newest addition last November is a stray that was abandoned along with his sister on my street at that time. He's a 16lb blue/gray domestic about 2 yrs. old named Grayson who has not and will not be declawed. His personality is the complete opposite of junior's. He loves getting attention and acts like your typical cat! I had Grayson's sister adopted by a great family last year.

I'm having a big problem with the introduction of these two and am hoping someone can save my sanity and lower my stress level with some advice on getting these two to get along. Currently I have to keep them in separate rooms all the time because when my resident cat see’s the newcomer he looks and attacks him like he's going to kill him, it’s not pretty because my new, young cat doesn’t seem to want to or know how to fight to protect himself. I was bitten by my resident cat during one of those fights which required several stitches to close. This is why I keep them segregated, in separate rooms, they are rarely together because the 3 fights they have been in were not pretty, and I'm afraid my Manx will really harm the younger cat who has no idea of what’s happening to him. My Manx is a bitter, I know he's gotten me dozens of times in the 12+ years I've had him. He's 20 lbs and solid, he looks like an English bulldog in a cat suit, and when he attacks the youngster its like train hitting him.
I'm really stressed out over this. There are times when I want to remove all the barriers and let them go at it till it's resolved, but again I'm afraid my younger cat will get hurt badly by being bitten.
Any help would be appreciated; I'm at my wits end, the stress is nerve racking. All I want is peace; they don't have to be best buddies but I want them to be able to be in the same house with no barriers, no separate rooms, and no segregation just tolerate each other. I know Manx are ferociously territorial, and that's not good for me or my 2 year old cat.
Please anyone help me!!
Thank you,
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts