Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this forum while doing some research on my kitten's behavior a couple times so I figured I would join :)

My name is Jamie and I have an 11-month old kitten named Benelli. She is a Tuxedo ASH. We got her from the Humane Society back in March when she was about 3 months old. Shortly after getting her (3 days in fact), we closed on our first home. It's definitely been interesting being a new home-owner and having my first kitten. I work at a car dealership in the Twin Cities and really enjoy my job.

She actually has quite an interesting story and since I'm a new crazy cat mom, I still get a kick out of sharing her story. She was the only kitten there, they were calling her Little One, and was in quarrentine when we arrived as she was being treated for ear mites and was due to get fixed the following day. I fell in love with her immediately, and we asked if we could see her. When we got in the meeting room, she was the most loveable, scraggly, and sweetest kitten we'd ever met (plus she was, and still is, quite a clutz and is a constant source of entertainment). I decided we were going to adopt her and we took her up to the front counter to start the paperwork.

The guy we were working with pulls out a list of stuff that was wrong with her as well as her history about how she got there. She started out her life as a barn kitten and a man picked her up as an engagement present for his fiancee. She took one look at her and said they couldn't afford her so they dropped her off at the Humane Society within a day. Out of all of the cats at the Humane Society, we ended up with the one with one of everthing wrong, which actually made it that much more worth it for me. She had earmites, worms, her front left leg is bowed, frostbitten ears, a frostbitten tail, and an upper respiratory infection (which we later found out is an upper resiratory virus which she will be dealing with for the rest of her life).

Flash foward to present day, she's a happy, healthy, mostly sane kitten who still is quite small (about 5 pounds). I will post pictures of her when I get home.

So I guess that's our story! Let me know if you have any questions and I'm sure you will be seeing me asking a lot of questions in the cat behavior section as she has a lot of "fun" behaviors.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome to the forum! She sounds like quite a character, and you have a big heart to adopt an animal with so many things to overcome - she's very lucky to have found her way to you, and I'm sure you feel lucky to have found her too. :smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We definitely do feel super lucky to have found her although she's in her teenage temper tantrum phase. We call her Whiskers because since she's still a kitten, she finds her way into lots of things and has already had to grow two sets of whiskers back since we've gotten her.

Her first escapade was when dad was shaving with his electric shaver and decided she wanted to rub against it so she lost her whiskers left of her nose. Those finally grew back in early October and on Halloween, dad lit a candle while we were waiting for trick-or-treaters (which she LOVED all the sparkly people coming to say hi to her), and she decided she wanted to smell the candle and singed her eyebrow whiskers.

She's a solo kitty for now but we plan on adopting a dog within the next year or so, but for now, she has a few friends in our fish tanks, especially our goby in the salt water tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts