Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Maryland. I have one cat, a 13 year old black & white named Ziggy. Unfortunately he's not in good health. Two weeks ago I took him to the vet because he had stopped eating and was looking very thin. They ran some tests and found some abnormalities.

On the 9th, he had surgery so they could take samples for biopsy. Last Wednesday he was diagnosed with cancer in his liver and pancreas and it seems there really isn't much that can be done. The vet said he has a few weeks, maybe a month or two left. He's been my little buddy ever since he was 2 months old and I am absolutely heartbroken over this news.

I've been syringe feeding him over the past week because he just doesn't eat enough on his own anymore. I think in some way he knows I'm trying to help him so he lets me do it. The cancer may get him but there's no way I'm going to let him start a downward spiral from not eating. I had no idea how quickly cats could decline from not eating.

So far he's doing well. He's not in pain and he's active and alert. If you didn't know he was sick, you probably wouldn't be able to tell there was anything wrong.

He gets his stitches out today and he'll be able to roam the entire house again instead of being confined to a few rooms.

I'm really glad there are sites like this. I've learned so much from all the reading I've done over the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Lucas and welcome to this forum. I am new myself. I am so very sorry to hear about your sick kitty. It sounds like he knows you love him and that will be a tremendous comfort to him. I would just try to make him as comfortable and warm as possible. Kitties are masters of hiding pain. If he shows an inkling of pain I would go to the vet and ask for some pain meds. Our Kitty passed away from cancer - lympho sarcoma. Towards the end we could see she was miserable and we got some liquid pain meds we could apply to her gums. It worked really well. She ate and drank and could walk around.

As far as food goes we tried tuna juice and canned tuna and she ate it in very small amounts. I wish I had some useful advice for you. If I were you I would post in "health and nutrition" here on the forum. This really is an awesome forum with some real experts who will chime in with helpful advice. Take care and keep us posted, Chuck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello from Maryland here, as well. :)

Good thoughts for your little Ziggy. He's lucky to have someone like you who cares so much. Our pets' lives are just way too short.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. He really didn't want to eat this morning. He took a couple of bites of the food I put out and walked away. This is the same thing he was doing that prompted me to call the vet initially. I syringe fed him this morning because I didn't want him going all day without eating. He cried a lot and tried hard to get away but somehow we got through it and I got about 40cc of food into him.

He didn't want anything to do with me after that. I tried to pet him and he just walked away. He got his feelings hurt (and so did I a little), but it's for the best. He needs to eat whether he wants to or not. I'm wondering if maybe he was nauseous.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a nice surprise tonight. I came home to find that he ate about 85% of the food I left out for him - almost half a can on his own!

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's good news. Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope your kitty is doing well. I hope he gets better. But if he doesn't, just remember you will meet again Over the Rainbow Bridge!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Got a nice surprise tonight. I came home to find that he ate about 85% of the food I left out for him - almost half a can on his own!
That is great! Very glad to hear it. Thx for the update. Keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts