Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, from south England, UK.

I have two moggies, male 9 years old, female 8 1/2 years old. Same parents but different litter. Both neutered / spayed.

They are both quite nervous, but very affectionate and incredibly well natured.

The male, over the past few months, has taken to 'creating puddles' all over the downstairs of the house. On the curtains, the doormat, in the fireplace, and today the final straw - on my shoes.

Although they can go out whenever they please, neither of them do that often, and never very far from the house, so i keep their litter trays very clean, and have even introduced another litter tray in the dining room, where a lot of the puddles seems to centralise around.

I'm at the end of my tether - I'm now trying to sell the house, so this really is not good.

Has anyone managed to sort out this kind of behaviour? I love them both to bits, but something has got to change here.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Greetings, 2moggies. Sorry you're having this problem!

Two possibilities come to mind about why your cat might be peeing all over the house:

1. a medical problem, so get him checked out at the vet if you've not already done so; or
  2. stress in his life that you haven't figured out yet.

Have there been changes that might have brought on some stress? If you're selling your house, maybe he's reacting to some of the changes that come with that. Or, have there been changes in routine or schedule -- whether yours or his -- or other changes like household composition, food, kitty litter, anything? Since he can go outside, it might also be that there's some new cat (or dog) in the neighborhood also provoking stress.

There's a book called _Starting from Scratch_ by Pam Johnson-Bennett (available in hard copy or in electronic formats like Kindle) that I'd highly recommend that might help you both locate the specific problem, and also to deal with the problem including training your cat into different (more desirable) behaviors. Johnson-Bennett is an expert on cat behavior, and the book has a wealth of good information on dealing with cat behavior problems.

Best of luck.

— Mel

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Oops!

Yesterday I somehow landed on a page from last summer thinking that it was a current (January 2012) post. So my advice probably came a few months late! But I hope that things turned out well for you and your cats.

— Mel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts