Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, I found this community, probably like many others when searching for some help regarding their kitty.
Charlie has been to the vets twice recently and I have a second opinion on Friday from a senior vet.

I am just looking for some kind of positivity i guess as its regarding an injection site lump.
I realise what it could be...all roads lead to cancer on google regardless of what you search for. Im just trying to get some peace until Friday because the information on the internet doesn't seem very balanced.

Chazza has had some terrible Allergy issues this year, i believe that many pets have (according to my friends and the vet) as well as a granuloma (rodent ulcer) on his mouth. The vet recommended a long acting Steroid injection Depo Medrol ??? which was given in the scruff of his neck. Charlie is an indoor cat and after his kitten vaccinations i sourced as much info as i could and made a decision to not vaccinate him - largely because i was worried about Injection Site Sarcomas...so he hasn't been jabbed in the past 7 years (he is 8)

The day after the jab i noticed there was a little lump and when i took him back to the vet two weeks later for a follow up, the vet also noticed and asked if i had vaccinated him previously. When i advised that i hadn't he said that it was likely to be a local reaction and to "keep an eye on it"

He had the injection almost a month ago now and the lump is still there. It moves around freely and is sort of fatty sort of hard. I am taking him back on Friday but im desperately hoping there are other cat owners who have had similar reactions in their cat and it was benign. All literature says that it should go away in weeks but i am nearly four weeks post injection...

yours desperately

Lynsey x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is smart you are taking cat back to vets for a follow up. I kind of doubt it is cancer, as it sounds like it is a reaction to the injection placed in that exact spot. Keep us posted.
That’s so lovely of you to have bothered to reply.
The lump moves about all over the place when I try to find it like chasing a pea round aplate!

Fingers crossed. Ihave seen so many posts with people asking g the same question as me and then they suddenly stop posting.. I think they make the effort when they need some reassurance and then move on agajn once they know their pet is alright. I just want to hear someone say.. my cat had a lump straight away, took a while to go down but it was okay.

rather than the opposite 😔

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning.

Went to the vet yesterday. I wanted to get a second opinion from a vet who has been practicing for a long time, and so i went to see the owner of the vets who has three practices. She has been practicing for 16 years. The other vets at the practice are brilliant, but have been qualified for a handful of years... for a second opinion i really wanted to ask someone who has seen as many cases like this as possible and would be able to give a more statistical view.

She took a look at it and her first question was again, has he had vaccinations (no) she said the same as you, that the lump is moveable it is very small (around 4mm without hair and skin) and doesn't hurt or irritate him in anyway, it doesn't seem to have any "roots" and its very rare to have this after a steroid.

She wouldn't take a biopsy/aspiration because she said
1/ these depo medrol shots can last up to 2 months and it could be the case that a sensitive reaction could also last for a while.
2/the lump is so small that it would be very difficult to get a good quality specimen and it would likely give an inconclusive result (waste of money and could potentially make it worse if the bump was malignant)
3/statistically any surgery to remove the bump at this stage would carry a greater risk than the chance that the bump is cancerous.

She said that she had seen reactions like this to a steroid injection, that they aren't super common after 4 weeks but she has only ever seen one case of injection site sarcoma in a cat as a result of a steroid shot.

Interestingly she said that the incidence of this cancer are around 1 in 30 for rabies shots (we dont have them in the UK unless travelling anyway) that seems really high!

She said that i should monitor the lump over hte next four weeks and bring him back at the beginning of june if it hasn't gone away. I was a bit dissappointed at coming away without some kind of result as ive been obsessing over it - to an unhealthy extent (maybe its me that needs the treatment : ) )

I will keep this thread updated as i know it will offer some degree of comfort to someone if everything works out well...unfortunately you very rarely get to hear of positive outcomes on the internet, as helpful as it is for some things.

xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update. Worryingly it feels a little wider today but it’s also flattering wonder if the effect is dispersing a little .. but I won’t be waiting until June before going back if I’m a week this is still there and especially if it’s growing. I’m going to go back to the vet and will ask for some diagnostic options x

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That doesn't sound good. I'm not really educated in this but I don't think it's a coincidence that the lump grew in the same spot as the injection sate. Here's some articles: Injection-Site Sarcoma in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost. Lump Under Cat's Skin After Vaccination | Cat-World.
thank you i am obviously aware of what it can be - i've been frantically googling it since the day after : ( im just looking for a slight bit of positivity from somewhere - any kind of hope that it might go away. Im going to ask to be referred to an oncologist to investigate it - i dont want the vet to start poking about at the moment x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts