Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And this is where I introduce myself :)

I'm Kimber and live in Halifax, NS. I used to work as a veterinary assistant, but went back to school to take a business course. Currently I am working as a customer service supervisor for a large company...I miss working with animals!

I live with my boyfriend and our animals in an apartment currently. Hoping to move into a house within the next few years.

And now the part you really wanted to know....the animals!

I have two rats: Simon and Baxter. They are sweet, affectionate and neutered. Baxter was rescued from a person whose snake didn't want to eat him and Simon was a rescue from over 2200miles away that a friend brought up to me when she came to visit. Both are over a year old and enjoy living in a HUGE cage that could actually hold 10 rats, lol....spoiled rotten.

The boyfriend is a big fan of fish and has a bunch that will be moving from his mother's house to ours in the near future. He doesn't name them, so I've been slowly naming them all.

Now the kitties (which is why we're all here)!

Currently we have two cats living with us. Slim (orange tabby) was adopted in June as his owner could no longer take care of him (elderly woman). He was 15 this spring and is neutered and declawed (the declawing was done prior to his other owner getting him). When I got him he tipped the scales at 20lbs!!! We're slowly working on lowering his weight without causing stress on his liver and he already has a healthier looking coat.

My boyfriend adopted our other cat in May from the SPCA. Shady (black and white) turned 6 in October and is spayed, but has her claws. She is a very sweet girl who loves nothing more than being curled up on your lap. She's put on some weight since we all moved in together (we only combined our homes in October), but the two cats get along very well.

And before anyone mentions it :roll:.....yes, I know that together we have "Slim Shady"....yes, it's a coincidence....yes they were named before we adopted them separately....lol, everyone thinks it's funny.

Can't wait to meet you all.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Funny on the name, I was also assuming you did it on purpose, and wondering why you'd change the name of a 15 year old - haha! They are both lovely, and it's so wonderful that you've both adopted older cats, which often are overlooked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In 2004 I adopted a two week old kitten from a 'hoarder'. Itty had severe respiratory issues coupled with digestive and renal conditions. She only lived until she was 5.5 years old when her quality of life was sufficient.

Once I was ready to look for another cat to join me, I found a 16 year old siamese (Mister) whose owner had passed away from cancer. Mister was part of my family for only a year before kidney failure destroyed his quality of life. When I had Mister put to sleep I decided that from then on I would only adopt senior cats in need of homes. Usually older people have older animals and when they are unable to care for them any longer it is really hard to find them homes. That's how I ended up adopting Slim. He's 15 years young and hopefully he'll have a few good years in retirement with me before passing on.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
They look like very sweet cats. It appears they get along since they are next to each other in the picture. (?)

What do your cats think of the rats?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hi and welcome. Slim and Shady are lovely, although Slim looks a little suspicious about having his picture taken. He has that "what do you think you're doing?" look about him!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Nice looking kitties. Welcome to the forum. I have had rats for many years throughout my life, they make wonderful pets. At the moment we only have one, Pepper. Her sister, Salt passed away last Christmas. We did consider getting her a friend but have made the decision to not have more rats after Pepper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They don't mind the rats at all. Shady sometimes goes in and watches them while they eat, but as a general rule they don't even acknowledge their existence. If the rats are out on the bed and Slim jumps up, he will watch and then leaves immediately haha.

Can't wait to keep chatting with all of you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts