Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello to all you cat lovers. I have two spayed female fur-babies. All our children are grown and gone, so we are very attached to our "girls". I'm not sure how populated this forum usually is, but I have a question that needs answered pretty quickly. I Also don't know if I am permitted to seek help in my first post, but in case I can, here goes.

We have sort of inherited a relative's adult male cat and will be picking him up day after tomorrow. The question is, how do I introduce him to our two spoiled, pampered kitties. I fear they are going to go nuts. Our two don't actually get along. The tolerate each other but have never played with or groomed each other. I am very nervous that we will be causing much stress to all three of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Welcome!

Here are some great guidelines for introductions:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

There's no need to rush anything, there's no absolute deadline or timetable for introductions. It can take several weeks. Is the new guy fixed?

I think it's great that you're taking in a cat from someone in need. Good luck!

Any pictures of your girls you can share with us?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you so much! I've read the article and will show my husband. We are both apprehensive. We bought a large soft-sided cat carrier today and will purchase an extra litter box this evening. Since we both work, this is going to be tricky. Yes, "Ralph" is neutered and is a big boy. He's about 5 years old and was an "only cat".

I may have some pictures on the hard drive, but am not sure how to post pics. I will try to do so at a later date, but right now want to concentrate on the meet & greet.

Thank you again for directing me to the article.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
It would be great if your girls don't even see you bring Ralph in the house and into his safe room, but I know that's not always possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update from Oklahoma

Just wanted to say thank you again for your help. We brought Ralph home Tuesday afternoon and took him directly to the bedroom we designated as home base for him. Believe it or not, one of the cats did not notice and has pretty much ignored the situation. Our little calico, Wander caught on quickly and sits outside the door and calls to him.

After being in a kennel for almost 2 months, the quiet cozy room was like heaven to him. He settled right in and has not cried once. He is eating well and is happy when we come in to see him. He is having trust issues, acting a bit like he'd like to bite if the petting gets too much for him. I am sure he has been in a lot of chaos the past 6 months. Although he was a loved and pampered cat, his owner"s escalating mental illness put Ralph in a very vulnerable position.

So..now we try and test and hope we can get them all to co-exist in the same house. He hisses and growls when he hears Wander call beyond the door. I am thinking of putting the "girls" in another bedroom tomorrow and letting Ralph out to roam and scent mark a little bit. Do you think it's too soon?

Another day in the life..

Pam in Oklahoma

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Some cats get overstimulated and will bite, that's normal.

I think scent swapping/switching the cats out is a good idea. Just take things slow and steady. Baby gates are a good middle step, too. They can see each other, but no contact.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome! I think letting Ralph roam the house is a good idea. He can investigate and he will smell the scent of the other cats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts