Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
24 year old recent college grad here. My boyfriend and I live in Milwaukee, and we adopted a cat from the humane society about 8 months ago named Indy. She is about 6 years old, has tuxedo markings, and is a large in cat sizes (we bought a medium size cat harness for her, got home and turned out our cat was fatter than we thought - had to go back to the pet store and exchange it for a large cat harness). Indy loves being outside, we tie her on a little chain and she will sit under some bushes in our backyard for hours. She also loves her purina one cat food and hanging out in her cat tree

looking forward to reading more information about cats on the forums! thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Welcome!

I'm going to be the first of many people to say that putting your cat on a chain is not a good idea. Cats have choked on things like blinds, plastic bag handles, etc., so a chain is an accident waiting to happen.

Okay, enough about that.

Pictures of Indy? :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic of Indy

Indy chillin on a mattress from when we were carpet cleaning our house last weekend. she did not like that loud carpet cleaner one bit

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Sweet face!!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
OH my gosh, Indy is a tuxedo... oh sorry... welcome to cat forum!
Thanks for adopting a rescue cat. I think youll like it here. Plus we love photos.. more please!

·
Registered
472 Posts
What a beauty of a tuxedo. I have one called... wait for it... Tux. She is part Siamese. When you cross Siamese with tabby, you normally always get solid black or tuxedo black and white. Once in a while you get some really beautiful tabbies; I had a Chocolate tabby and an actual Lilac tabby out of an accidental litter.

Anyway, your Indy is beautiful. Aside from the danger of a cat on a chain getting hung up on something (cats jump up while dogs don't usually), there is the possibility a dog could get into the yard and trap your kitty at the end of the chain and hurt Indy very badly. Does he have a way to get away from a dog? I used to walk several of my kitties on leashes with harnesses; one used to climb up tree trunks with the leash on and I was stuck standing at the base of the tree waiting for her to come down...

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Maine **** queen opened the bedroom door and mated with my new Seal Point Siamese. Miri delivered four kittens, two solid black and then two tabbies; one Lilac and one Chocolate. Three years later, one of my tabby feral rescues again opened a bedroom door and again Seal Point Tut made babies with her. She had two solid black babies and two tabbies: one Chocolate and one Seal Point. I asked my vet about the coincidence and she said it was not coincidence; that is what you get when you cross Siamese with any tabbie. It seems Siamese cats are actually tabbies genetically but their points are made by a temperature sensitive gene coding for solid color but which only shows up on the cooler temperature areas of the body; ears, face, feet, tail.

Those Siamese kittens were the most active and baddest kittens I ever raised; in to everything! The first four kittens were three males and a female and the second four kittens were three females and a male. In each of the litters, the females came into heat when they were only two and a half months old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts