Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Heidi, and my guy and I just adopted the handsome Mr. Martin last week!

I've had cats for most of my life, but Martin is my first dude, and the first one that I am actively trying to introduce to another cat.

Martin is about a year old, a classic orange tabby and a rescue. I don't know how hard his life was to start, but it doesn't sound great. He's neutered now and has been absolutely loving since we brought him home.

I'm really excited to be able to bounce some ideas off of other cat people!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I completely forgot to talk about my behavior problem!

We're trying to introduce him to my parents cat, (Thelma 7-8 years old, completely lacking a killer instinct), so they can stay together when someone goes out of town. Unfortunately, Martin seems to be a bit of a bully. Is this a totally crazy idea?

·
Super Moderator
26,667 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
welcome heidi, heidi's guy, and mr. martin!

good luck with mr. martin and thelma. i hope they learn to get along quickly. we're also going to eventually bring in a pal for our Angel so that she's not so lonely if and when we ever go on a trip. until then, we aint going anywhere! so good luck to both of us actually!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on the little big cat website! It looks like it has a ton of info!

@maggie23: good luck to us both for sure!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello There!

Hi!

I'm new to the forum as well and looking forward to sharing some of my experiences as well. We recently adopted a male (very large) as a companion cat to our tiny little female. It still isn't a perfect situation after two months, but watching them play and clean each other reminds me of how much progress has been made.

Definitely give them time, and they're own space/hiding place to go to if they need it. And don't force it - patience is key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have 9 cats & it was chaotic when Muther Kitty & her 5 kittens decided to adopt us. Our original 4 were jealous & there was some acting out (peeing & pooping outside the box) & little dominance scuffles here & there, but over time, they all worked it out. Irma emerged as the top cat still, but Muther Kitty is her 2nd in command & they are quite chummy. All the rest, including the dogs, submit to those two. LOL I think most pets will work things out if you just give them the space & the time to do it.

Sorry for all the ampersands....the letter "n" died on my keyboard. :eek:P

Good luck with your new kitty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts