Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I signed on because I have a question on this cat that wonders the neighborhood. The cat is considered a stray and was the cat of the previous owners of the house we just moved into around a month ago. At first the cat came up to our door and started rubbing it's head against it. It wouldn't come close to us so we didn't pester it. Just 3 days ago we asked our neighbors about the cat and they told us that she was the previous owners of our house cat. They told us that she doesn't like people too much and stays away. Some of the neighbors leave out food for her but the birds usually get to it first. I noticed that she was very skinny so I bought and gave her cat food. The next day, I gave her food again and she came to me and she gave me a lot of affection: purring, head butting, rubbing, licking, and gentle biting. So much for not being social, haha. She doesn't usually want to leave my side and falls asleep on my lap. Last night was very cold and was snowing hard so I took her inside my house and we slept together. I had to put her back outside because of my dogs.
My question is should I take her to a shelter so that she can find a home or stay with me? My big problem about keeping her is that I have 2 German Shepherd dogs, 5 years and 8 years old, and I don't know if it's too stressful for her to live with 2 big dogs. My dogs were never around cats before and when they see her they will sometimes growl. They're always inside, they just see her through the window. The previous owner owned a yellow Lab so she's used to big dogs but my dogs aren't used to cats. I would like your advice to what I should do. I really have grown attached to her and I really want to keep her but I just don't want her to have a stressful life with my dogs but I'm worried that she won't find a good home since she's an older cat, she has a few white furs on her black fur, and she went though an entire winter outside and alone. I don't want her to suffer anymore. :( Thank you for your time!

· Registered
17 Posts
I have 5 GSD's who were never around cats and have 2 kittens, they all get along great, but mine have not shown any aggression, but if they had I would keep them far away from eachother.
When you do have her inside with you and the dogs, as long as they are not all left unsupervised together I don't see a problem. Perhaps you could put up a baby gate or keep the cat in a certain area of your house where the dogs can't get to her etc.
If you are worried about her safety and there is no way to keep the dogs and cat separated, perhaps a shelter would be best.

· Registered
714 Posts
My parents dog lived happily with 5 cats, but if she saw a "strange" cat in the yard, she would growl and bark. I see why you are concerned, but your dogs arent necessarilly showing aggression, they just see a strange animal and they see it as an intruder.

Here is a good article on introductions if you decide to try:

Cat-to-Dog Introductions | Little Big Cat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.