Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CatForum!

I am Carolyn, a 22-year-old college graduate currently living at home in Ohio with my parents (hopefully only temporarily!!). Our cats are Colby, Gracie, & Louie--but we also have two doggies, Maddie & Josie. Funny how they all have "ee"-ending names, I know, but I didn't have any influence in their naming. :p We've had Louie the longest--He is getting too fat to go through his cat door, so we are working on trying to get him some help. Below is a picture of him playing with a feather. Then, about a year ago, we added Gracie & Louie when my mom's coworkers realized they had cat allergies & couldn't keep them anymore. Colby has become very attached to me but feuds constantly with Louie & our dogs, so the plan is to take him with me when I eventually move out on my own. In the attached pictures, Colby is the orange cat & Gracie is the fluffy one next to him on the bed. She's a sweetie & quite the little hunter!

My reason for joining...? Well, I just finished reading Click! A clicker-cat book by Karen Pryor, and I need some advice from fellow cat-owners. Before reading this book, I didn't realize that leaving dry food out all day was not the "right" way to feed cats, but the reason for it (cats being predators, not grazers) makes total sense. Plus, having regular feeding times makes cats more open to clicker training, since they are at their hungriest an hour or so before mealtime. So, I am now trying to switch my cats over to twice-a-day feedings at 9am/9pm, taking the food away after ten minutes or so. The problem is, Colby is wolfing his food down so quickly that he vomits nearly all of it within five minutes of eating! It's only been two days, so should I just endure it & stick to the schedule, hoping he'll calm down when he realizes I won't starve him? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome. Your cats are adorable, but I must admit Gracie is my favorite...I just want to pick her up and hug her!

As for Colby, I'd try doing things to slow down his eating. I've heard that cats will eat more slowly if you elevate their food. So, perhaps try putting his bowl on top of an old phone book. Also, try to spread the food more thinly in the bowl/plate so that he can't take big gulps. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts