Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has been acting odd lately, she has been wandering the house and now she refuses to eat. She will only drink milk. The other day though she cleaned almost all the grease off a pan after I made hamburgers which she has never once done before. She tries to eat and shakes her head and runs away. Today I tried to get her out of a hiding spot and she hissed at me.
She has been my best friend since she was an itty bitty kitty. In July her blood work was perfect, the vet said. Although her one eye was tearing it now seems to have stopped.

Thanks,
Erica

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I can't say what might be wrong with her, but I would take her to the vet, even though she was there in July. I presume she doesn't normally hide and hiss at you. So, the sudden behavioral change and her refusal to eat, combined with her age, suggest another vet visit is in order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took her to the Vet and she said she looked okay and they gave her an antihistamine for her eye and because she was sneezing. That is the day she started acting up. She started wandering before I took her. She fears the Vet and the car more than anything. I called the vet then later and told her how she was acting and they said I could bring her back in for more blood tests but I can't afford all that. Especially just to hear she's old and you should put her down.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
She tries to eat and shakes her head and runs away.
She could very well be experiencing pain in her mouth, from any one of a number of reasons. Hiding and hissing are also signs of pain or discomfort. My furgirl Theodora was doing exactly the same thing one day a couple of weeks ago. She had a swollen salivary gland and a temperature. She's fine now, after an antibiotic shot and some steroids.

You don't want your best friend to be hurting, so a visit to her doctor, as soon as possible, should be your next step.

Good luck to your girl.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
It could be lots of things. Brain tumors, dental problems, etc. When you have a cat this age its to be understood issues are due to come up. To find out what is going on with your cat is important. If he has something seriously wrong you will know what steps to take to make his time with you meaningful. in comfort and knowing when to let them go so they dont suffer.

IF your not getting answers from this vet and them taking it seriously Id find another vet. There is credit care that is available at vet offices that help you make payments with no interest for one year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i broke down and took my baby to the vet today and he recommended I put her to sleep. I'm going to miss her like crazy, she has been my best friend since I got her back in 1994! But she is suffering no more. The vet said we could do blood work to see why she is dying but that is would still happen anyway. I didn't want to put her through that again. She still checked out okay though, no teeth problems or anything he could see or feel. She was just ready to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts