Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to say I'm a dog person. Always have been. My German Shepherd currently sprawled out on the floor was adopted from the pound 2 years ago and has been great.

A week ago, I was working on my car...and here comes this orange tabby cat, walking right up to me. He was kinda scrawny, so I found some tuna and he was instantly my friend. This cat isn't like most I've met...very mild mannered, not afraid of my GS...he even let us give him a bath! He sat in my lap while watching TV for over 2 hours. We called the pound, and the local policy with strays is to keep them at the shelter for 7 days to see if anyone claims him. Tomorrow the 7 days is up, 10am.

So I have two problems I need to solve before considering adoption. First, I'm allergic to cats. The allergists told me the protein in their saliva causes the reaction, and can be pretty bad. Second, I'm concerned about my dog. He's the 'king' of the place and gets all the attention, so how will this fare with a newcomer? When I kept the cat overnight, my dog just whined and circled the cat for what seemed like forever. He does need a 'buddy' as he gets very bored, however.

So what do you all think about this situation? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would talk to your doctor or allergist to see if theres a med that you could to prevent a flare up from the cat. Thats if you are serious on bringing him home. Your dog will get use to him with time. After a few days the dog should be fine and a few weeks best buds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How nice for you to give him a home. Cats and dogs can get allong real well. Ours allways did. I would think just dont give your dog any less attention because of the cat and he wont get jealous. I got no thoughts on the allergies though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, after a couple days it seems the dog is more stressed out than the cat. Alex (cat) just sits there on the couch while Lucas (dog) sniffs at him and circles. This cat is the most mild mannered animal I have ever seen. I'm guessing the previous owners had a dog in the house. He's also overly affectionate, being pretty much plastered to us constantly.

Here I was worried the cat would turn psycho and scratch my eyes out or something!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am very sure that your dog will get used to the cat in a while and if he needs a buddy then its even better! I'm sure your doctor can do something about your allergy! But if the cat likes you and he sounds very well behaved then i think he has chosen your home and you should give it to him!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts