Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I might be getting a new kitten from a friend's cat's litter. The mom is havana brown but the father was an unknown neighborhood tom. Should I be worried about health issues because the father was unknown? He is six weeks now but I was wondering what is recommended to feed kittens? I heard that you shouldn't use wet food because it decays the teeth. However i have looked over some of the posts here and many seem to favor wet food. Also, how many times a day and how much should a kitten be fed? I have had cats before but this would be my first that I would be covering all costs and health bills on my own.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
to the boards!!!! And congratulations on your new kitten!! I don't think you need to worry about your kitty coming from an unknown father....all of my cats are from strays/shelters/unknown origins :D Six weeks is a bit young for the kitten to leave her mother and litter mates, though. It is better to wait until she is at least 8 or 10 weeks old, if possible. It has been awhile since I have had a kitten, but I have always just let my kittens eat as much as they want, and left dry food out for them all day. Others on here may have other information for you....that's just what I always did. My cats eat a combination of dry and wet, as long as you feed a high quality food, I think either is OK, but some cats DO do better on wet only...it just depends :D I know you will get tons of help on here......see you around :D :D :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome to the Cat Forum.

I agree with Ianthe, give the kitty another 4-6 weeks with mom, if at all possible. And while you are waiting, read back through some of the threads in this section. Another excellent source of information can be found HERE

Keep us informed on the adoption process.

Peace,
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts