Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Lisa, I am 29 years old and I own 2 tabby cats. Bailey is 9 1/2 years and Maggie is 8 years. I found this site while searching for advice and tips on 3 legged cats. My cat Bailey had a Basal cell carcinoma on her left front leg. She had surgery 2 years ago to remove the tumer, however, the tumor came back grew very rapidly and last week opened up (meaning it had blood/serious fluid oozing constantly). She had a great quality of life until the tumor opened up, then it started driving her crazy. My vet said the only option for a cure would be amputation, otherwise she would not live long. X-rays showed that the cancer had not spread, so I went forward with the surgery. She had her surgery Thursday and is home recovering now. This is post-op day 3. Overall, she is doing better than I expected, but I was hoping to talk with other cat owners who have been through this for tips and I have some questions regarding pain management, constipation, activity restrictions and reintroducing her to her sister.

Amputation was a difficult decisions to make. I put her through this to she could stay around with me a little longer and I want to make sure she continues to have a good quality of life. So tips are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome Lisa! Your cats are beautiful!

I don't have any experience/advice but I wanted to say that I truly believe you did the right thing for Bailey. Since the cancer didn't spread, you have saved her life and I'm sure she is greatful. It will take some time to adjust to the missing leg, but it seems like you have lots of love for her and it will help her to adjust quickly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts